Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rental Car vs Taxi: What should I do?

Rental Car vs Taxi: What should I do?

I know there has been a lot of threads on this, but really what I want to know is what should I do? I am staying at Divi Phoenix for a week and we will mostly spend time at Palm Beach and head to the high rise area for dinner. We will need a ride to and from the airport and a trip to the grocery store. Would I better off just taking a taxi each night from the Phoenix to the restaurants? Its about 1 mile drive. Seems like by the time I pay to park and spend money on a rental I would be better of just using a taxi. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum! Guess it depends on what you are most comfortable with. Are you okay with driving in another country? Do you plan to get out and explore the island? Many people prefer to have their own transportation. We just take taxis. They're convenient and readily available.

Just curious, after noticing your logon name, do you rent a car in Vegas?

Aruba since 1979
    the taxi and the car rental may work out to be about = when all is said and done.

i would say, grab the cabs instead....that way you can have a drink or 2 at dinner and not have to be concerned about a designated driver.(well the taxi driver would be the designated driver!)

welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Guess it depends on what you are most comfortable with. Are you okay with driving in another country? Do you plan to get out and explore the island? Many people prefer to have their own transportation. We just take taxis. They're convenient and readily available.

Just curious, after noticing your logon name, do you rent a car in Vegas?

Thank you. I live in Vegas so no need to rent a car here. I do use Uber a lot when heading to the strip. I am familiar with driving in Aruba, been there 3 times and have rented a car each time. But it's been about 8 years since I have been there so wasn't sure how the taxi system is now. Looks like it's about $6 to go from hi rise hotels to hi rise restaurants, is this correct for the taxi fare from Phoenix to hi rise restaurants? And $50 RT from the airport to hotel? How easy is it to get a taxi after dinner in hi rise area? Not really interested in exploring much. Done that, just looking to spend most of the time in the water and Bugaloe. Thanks for the insight.

I've done the math for a week's stay and if you are in an area like Palm Beach or even over near Alhambra shops, the taxi fare for airport grocery and 2 or 3 dinners out is really about the same as renting a car. We prefer a taxi from the airport because we can relax and look around to see what changed and enjoy the view. Plus we can have drinks on the plane or with dinner to get the party started and not worry about a designated driver. It always amazes me when I read someone has been out rum tasting or barhopping and then drives back home. Its so dangerous. We are taxi people for the most part, but I do like renting a car or jeep for a day or two in the middle of our trip to get out and explore.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-09-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas2aruba View Post
    Thank you. I live in Vegas so no need to rent a car here. I do use Uber a lot when heading to the strip. I am familiar with driving in Aruba, been there 3 times and have rented a car each time. But it's been about 8 years since I have been there so wasn't sure how the taxi system is now. Looks like it's about $6 to go from hi rise hotels to hi rise restaurants, is this correct for the taxi fare from Phoenix to hi rise restaurants? And $50 RT from the airport to hotel? How easy is it to get a taxi after dinner in hi rise area? Not really interested in exploring much. Done that, just looking to spend most of the time in the water and Bugaloe. Thanks for the insight.
    After I posted I realized you probably lived in Vegas (we're headed there next week). Anyhow, $6 between hi rise hotels sounds about right. When we stayed downtown we were charged $5 from the Renaissance to Wilhemenia restaurant which is also downtown. Usually we will be going from the low rise to the hi rise at $9.

That taxi fare is correct, but a little higher on Sundays and holidays (about $3 surcharge)
    Grocery store trip will be between $8-10 each way.
    As for getting taxis after dinner, if we are off the strip area we usually ask the waiter to have the hostess call for a taxi for us when we are paying the check. They are always happy to help. If we are on the strip area, we've found the easiest way to get a taxi is to go to the entrance of the closest hotel and there is usually one waiting or the bellman can help.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Aruba_Taxi_Fares.pdf
    click above to see the fare chart

Thanks everyone. These are excellent tips. Looks like we may just rent a car for a few days and then go with a taxi the rest of the time. Sounds much more relaxing to not have to worry about having drinks at dinner and then having to drive home. Now we can really enjoy our nights and not worry. Plus I really like being chauffeured Thinking of getting rental when we arrive at the airport to use for the initial grocery shopping trip and a sightseeing day. Has anyone used National for car rental from the airport? I use them here in the states all the time and I have a few free rental days.

Aruba since 1979
    i would not count on the same "National perks" in aruba that you would get in the states or n america.
    some, if not all , of the international franchises do not follow the same guidelines.
    however, it is indeed worth an inquiry.

Thanks everyone. These are excellent tips. Looks like we may just rent a car for a few days and then go with a taxi the rest of the time. Sounds much more relaxing to not have to worry about having drinks at dinner and then having to drive home. Now we can really enjoy our nights and not worry. Plus I really like being chauffeured Thinking of getting rental when we arrive at the airport to use for the initial grocery shopping trip and a sightseeing day. Has anyone used National for car rental from the airport? I use them here in the states all the time and I have a few free rental days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast