Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14

Thread: Renting ATV vs Car to see beaches

Renting ATV vs Car to see beaches

My dh wants to rent one of the side by side ATV Rhino's from George's on our trip in December. I am thinking we will venture out on our own to do a "beach/snorkeling" tour. With the atv will we be okay riding on the streets or is there something we need to know? Do you think we should just rent a car or would the atv be more exciting?

Place we plan to hit are Baby Beach, Mango Halto, Arashi, Boca Catalina. My question is which beaches are best for snorkeling?

Does anyone have a route that they would suggest for these? We don't really want to do an organized tour, since we have done that previously and aren't really looking to see sites this time, just beaches.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

The ATV maybe more exciting, but a car is much safer.

More info on snorkeling from the beach

Boca Catalina is our favorite spot for safe diving. I have directions for snorkeling Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove here

We've used George's for our last 3 trips and plan on using his services a 4th time in November. Our last trip we used a rhino and had a great time. If you're comfortable using an ATV (we have 3 at home) and use common sense you'll have a lot of fun. Our favorite spot to snorkle is Boca Catalina with Arashi coming in a close second! One nice thing about using the rhino is that you can keep all your gear in the back of it.

Aruba since 1979
    I have no opinion on the ATVs for street use.
    Forum member Mmattalo, rents ATVs from Georges, regularly and uses them for street and off roading. You may want to private message him and inquire.

The areas for good snorkeling that you mentioned.....Baby Beach and Boca/Catalina Cove are great. Mangel Halto is great as well, but there is a current and not for weak swimmers/snorkelers. Life vest recommended for all snorkel adventures.

Baby Beach.......do not leave the "bowl area".Treacherous currents outside of seawalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    My dh wants to rent one of the side by side ATV Rhino's from George's on our trip in December. I am thinking we will venture out on our own to do a "beach/snorkeling" tour. With the atv will we be okay riding on the streets or is there something we need to know? Do you think we should just rent a car or would the atv be more exciting?

Place we plan to hit are Baby Beach, Mango Halto, Arashi, Boca Catalina. My question is which beaches are best for snorkeling?

Does anyone have a route that they would suggest for these? We don't really want to do an organized tour, since we have done that previously and aren't really looking to see sites this time, just beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by martinme View Post
    We've used George's for our last 3 trips and plan on using his services a 4th time in November. Our last trip we used a rhino and had a great time. If you're comfortable using an ATV (we have 3 at home) and use common sense you'll have a lot of fun. Our favorite spot to snorkle is Boca Catalina with Arashi coming in a close second! One nice thing about using the rhino is that you can keep all your gear in the back of it.
    Thanks for the input. My husband is much more comfortable than I am, but I have ridden ATVs too. My parents have a couple and they have a side by side so I know I enjoy being a passenger more than a driver. Did you venture to Baby Beach? I am just wondering how the drive is and if there is a different route you would take than if traveling by car.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I have no opinion on the ATVs for street use.
    Forum member Mmattalo, rents ATVs from Georges, regularly and uses them for street and off roading. You may want to private message him and inquire.

The areas for good snorkeling that you mentioned.....Baby Beach and Boca/Catalina Cove are great. Mangel Halto is great as well, but there is a current and not for weak swimmers/snorkelers. Life vest recommended for all snorkel adventures.

Baby Beach.......do not leave the "bowl area".Treacherous currents outside of seawalls.
    Thank you Andrea for the advice. We will definitely be taking the necessary precautions and I am adding life vests to my "vacation list". I did not realize the Mangel Halto current was strong; we may end up contacting Arubabob and/or Stuart. We are both strong swimmers and grew up on the water, so we have a lot of respect for the power of water and currents. And we know our limits. I am always amazed when I hear sad news from Baby Beach. There is so much to see inside the bowl, I don't know why one would take risks near the outer edges.

Aruba since 1979
    paul and i had a very pleasant and FUN experience snorkeling with Stuart of Arubabob.
    we hope to snorkel with them again in a few weeks, this time with both kent and stuart!

snorkeling with those water scooter devices are pretty cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Thank you Andrea for the advice. We will definitely be taking the necessary precautions and I am adding life vests to my "vacation list". I did not realize the Mangel Halto current was strong; we may end up contacting Arubabob and/or Stuart. We are both strong swimmers and grew up on the water, so we have a lot of respect for the power of water and currents. And we know our limits. I am always amazed when I hear sad news from Baby Beach. There is so much to see inside the bowl, I don't know why one would take risks near the outer edges.