Aruba Beach

Thread: renting a car a must? with 2 year old in tow?

renting a car a must? with 2 year old in tow?

We're staying at the Marriott Surf Club in october for a week with our 2 year old son in tow.

My in laws said it is not necessary to rent a car.

My friend said it's a must (she has 2 kids) and goes every thanksgiving.

So who wants to be the tie breaker here? Should we rent a car? Obviously we'll have to bring the car seat with us then. Do you think it's a must to rent? is it easy to drive around Aruba?

It REALLY is a personal preference and depends upon how much driving around you plan on doing, vs. spending time at the beach or pool at your resort. The island itself is not difficult to get around.

Car Rental vs. Taxi

www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%20rental%20vs.%20taxi.html

Questions about carseats and strollers
    Some good advice regarding car seats and strollers from someone who traveled with a 2 1/2 yo.
    Info on Bully
    as referenced in above thread.

See i don't know Arubalisa because i'm not sure if there is a lot to do on the island with a 2 year old.

Obviously we can't do any excursions with him. So really i guess i'm wondering if we'll need it for the various restaurants on the island or can you actually walk to many of them?

Except for the donkey sanctuary and ostrich farm you are probably correct in your thinking about excursions. Things to do with a 4 & 5 year old

If needed, you could rent a car for just one day to do the above and use taxis for dinner "out" for the other evenings, using the car the night you have it to visit the restaurant furthest, thus most expensive taxi ride, from the Surf Club.

We have found that even with taxi fare to and from the airport and taxi fares to venture out each evening, it is less expensive in the long run than renting a car for the entire week. More on taxi fares
    Need help deciding on restaurants....cab fare...

Being at the Marriott Surf Club you will also find a good number of restaurants within walking distance.

Someone just posted a list of fares (one way) from the Surf Club to their restaurants of choice
    Need help deciding on restaurants....cab fare...

There is also the ability to take a bus from the Surf Club to the downtown area which will increase the restaurant options available to you. Last I knew, the fares were $1.20 per person each way and the busses ran fairly often. We did this when our children were very young and it worked out well. I would also suggest bringing an umbrella stroller as there is a lot of walking in Aruba, even just at the resort, and the two year old may get tired out. Have fun!
    See you in Aruba!!!
    Next Aruba trip in