Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Results from Reading All 27 Pages of this Sub-Forum

Results from Reading All 27 Pages of this Sub-Forum

As the title says, I just went through all 27 pages of this sub-forum and found a lot of interesting information! Granted, I HAVE NOT YET BEEN TO ARUBA, EVER, so someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems like...

• A great way to see the island is by taking a private tour with Cerry or Bully. Cerry will be able to get to the more desolate areas of the island, due to his vehicle. I have emailed him for a quote and, if it is within our budget, we will book something with him. I think it only make sense to have Bully be the one to pick us up from the airport though!

• Another good way is to rent a car for a day (or two) and travel around yourself. This also provides a place to lock up any carry-alongs. There is also the option of taxis and buses to the most common locations and that method allows you to travel safely if you've been drinking. I saw it reported that DUI enforcement is somewhat lax but, if you want to roll the dice and end up being arrested, you will find yourself sitting in a cell block for only-God-knows-how-long before you even get a call, arraignment, lawyer, etc. NOT a good plan, in my book.

• Near the entrance of Arikok, there is a place that has awesome burgers. I hope it is still around because a GREAT burger is something I go out of my way to find!

• There is a place called Charlie's Bar and, if you are a drinker/partier, this establishment is somewhat of a rite-of-passage.

• Baby Beach is better visited on a weekday due to crowds.

• Drivers generally don't pay much attention to those on two wheels (bicycles, motorcycles, scooters). It might not be wise to rent/ride one but I guess it is up to the individual's own skill/comfort level. ATVs are also available for rent and are allowed on the roads, provided that they yield the right-of-way to other motorists.

• The most secluded spots, such as the natural bridge, baby bridge, caves, etc. on the north side, are only accessible via 4x4 with a high clearance.

• Jolly Pirates offers numerous options for snorkeling, food, and fun!

• Taxi fares are regulated by the government and taxis are not allowed to carry more than five passengers.

• Fuel prices, while higher than in the USA, are not the ridiculous prices that have been rumored elsewhere on the web.

• Arubans generally do not haggle when it comes to items for sale. Maybe on jewelry or the open-air market but not in general. They know the value of their wares.

• Friday night/Saturday morning is the most dangerous time to be on the road.

Well, as I said, I garnered a lot of good information in the 27 pages and don't feel like I have any questions. Of course, I am always open to additional info, corrections, and suggestions! If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, but this forum is where I found all of this. I can't wait until June!!

Now, off to another sub-forum!
    Last edited by TH420X; 12-07-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Thumbs up

You are an excellent student who has done lots of homework. Grade
    A+

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    You cracked me up....you have 6 months to go, just think how much more info you can absorb!!!!!!!!!!! Aruba = Heaven you will love it.

Aruba since 1979
    i am thrilled and astounded.

:-)

Thanks, all!

I did hear back from Cerry; he says he cannot get me to the natural pool so I will have to figure something else out for that. Otherwise, it seems like he covers most everything else. Does anyone have any idea how long it may take to simply "see" all of the sites? I'm talking, show up, take a picture, hear something about the place, go to the next. I was told this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerry (via email)
    The usual sites that I cover during my tours are: the lighthouse, the north coast of the island , the touristy area including palm , eagle and arashi beach, the sheik area including the most expensive houses on the island, the natural bridge, the rock formations, ayo and casibary, the national park , thereís a $ 2.00 conservation fee to enter the park including the caves and the sand dunes , baby beach , eastern end of the island etc,etc.
    Also, am I missing anything?

I also heard back from George on the scooter rental. Only $50 for a day rental. I may or may not get one for a day. I guess it depends on if there is something I want to go back and see in more detail and how I feel about the roads/traffic. As ArubaLisa said, I am not going to overplan or overthink it, I'll just go with the flow; "be like water," as I like to say.

I do not know how long Cerry's tour is, but Bully's private tour of the island is customized depending upon how long, i.e., how much money you would like to spend. Private taxi tours are $45 per hour for up to 5 persons.

Imo, 3-4 hour morning tour would allow you time to view all of the highlights and leave you the afternoon on the beach.

Jmho, the Natural Pool as unique as it is, in order to do it right, you would want to take a private tour and spend a half day. It is time consuming to get there and back, so make it worth your while and spend some time there. To take 45 minutes to get there from off the "main road" and then 45 minutes back, doesn't make sense to go there for 20 minutes.

You will return to Aruba, many people do , so your second trip you will be able to take additional tours, like the Natural pool, as well as rent a vehicle for the day and snorkel from shore and tool around the island at your own pace. For first time visitors, again, jmho, a guided tour enables you to know what you are seeing. There is more than one "natural bridge" on the island, each beach has its own name etc.

Go0od info! I actually just spoke with George; he says that even the ATV has a hard time getting to the natural pool and that horses are the best bet. Cerry charges the same rates and has the same structure. PM on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by TH420X View Post
    ATV has a hard time getting to the natural pool and that horses are the best bet.
    AMEN!

Been there done that with the ATV tour and as much as we loved it, I do not know if I would be brave enough to tackle it again.

So, if I get a horse, will I have enough time to actually "visit" the pool? You know, like spend some time there, as you suggested? Is it possible to take a cab and then hike in? I think I'm about to go on a "natural pool research" kick now.

Any links on horses or the pool would be great. Searching now...

searched & found this online

http://www.arubaranchodaimari.com/in...d=49&Itemid=56

Horseback-Ridin Tours

o Free Round Trip Transportation
    o A 2 hour guided tour into the most spectacular scenery in Aruba (ANDICURI, Natural Pool, Arikok National Park, Sand Dunes & more)
    o Swimming at the Natural Pool
    o Refreshment

You will have time to swim, but probably not "dwell" at the Natural Pool.

To hike there...

From the main road figure about 2 miles each way.

Here is a map of Arikok National Park

If you do decide to hike, wear sturdy shoes (for climbing over rocks) bring plenty of water, wear strong sunscreen as well as a hat which will give you good coverage. This is a fairly good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKB1j...eature=related to give you an idea of the path to the Natural Pool.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 12-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast