Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Roundabout/Rotary

  1. #1
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,912

    Roundabout/Rotary

    over the last few years, numerous traffic light/signals have been replaced with roundabouts.
    paul and I are of the opinion it really helps the flow of traffic. what do you think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tom and Stanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    My back yard pool
    Posts
    337
    In some cases it does help. However, the one at the Airport is a pain in the ass to get thru. It is just confusing and everyone seems to stop and try to figure out which lane to be in. I think it was better with the traffic lights at this location. . . . The one at the Ritz is a joke. I can not tell you how many times it has been hit by either a car, bus or truck. There was no need to put that one in. . . . The rest of the new ones, I am still trying to see if they are better or not. If people know how to enter them, they are OK, otherwise, god help us all. . . .

    Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,912
    i agree with you about the one at the airport. although the flags are lovely they are a terrible distraction and i think that leads to some of the confusion that you mention about which lane to be in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    In some cases it does help. However, the one at the Airport is a pain in the ass to get thru. It is just confusing and everyone seems to stop and try to figure out which lane to be in. I think it was better with the traffic lights at this location. . . . The one at the Ritz is a joke. I can not tell you how many times it has been hit by either a car, bus or truck. There was no need to put that one in. . . . The rest of the new ones, I am still trying to see if they are better or not. If people know how to enter them, they are OK, otherwise, god help us all. . . .

    Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Posts
    2,066
    since we stay at the gold coast and pass that roundabout by the ritz daily, I agree with you guys, tom & stanley. it is such a waste. there is no reason for that to be there, the cross traffic is not that much at all. the most we've seen traffic or congestion was with the building of the ritz with the trucks. but prior to that there was nothing & I'm sure now there probably is not alot.

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,912
    do you do any traveling about once you are on aruba?
    have you experienced any or the other roundabouts?
    the one near the wendys along the main drag works nicely (imo)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    since we stay at the gold coast and pass that roundabout by the ritz daily, I agree with you guys, tom & stanley. it is such a waste. there is no reason for that to be there, the cross traffic is not that much at all. the most we've seen traffic or congestion was with the building of the ritz with the trucks. but prior to that there was nothing & I'm sure now there probably is not alot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Posts
    2,066
    to be honest, Andrea, none of the other roundabouts bother me. I kind of think it slows down the people trying to jump in from the side streets, especially on the main road. I do think the first time it may be intimidating but by now i know exactly what lane to go in. There's a roundabout in the next town from me, been there for years and I still get in the wrong lane, lol. but for the most part, I like them. the one by the ritz is annoying but maybe they are anticipating with the hotel, etc., in the future it will be needed. I don't know. Just seems like for the past few years, the traffic by the Ritz doesn't warrant the need. but since it usually benefits "right of way" in the direction that I am going, I don't care, lol....

  7. #7
    Member Doug R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    59
    Here in Jersey we have been getting rid of the darn things!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,155
    I still have to get used to the one by the airport.

  9. #9
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scott's Brats, Iguana Joes, Surf Club
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug R. View Post
    Here in Jersey we have been getting rid of the darn things!
    I think they work great if everyone is paying attention. Do you still have to make a right to turn left in Jersey?

  10. #10
    Member MAZOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palm Beach, Eagle Beach, Downtown,Casinos,Lighthouse, "other Side"
    Posts
    85
    Yup--they are called jug handles in in NJ. Like Doug said--NJ trying to get rid of "circles" or roundabouts. Ever drive(opposite side then US) in Bermuda or Ireland and navigate a roundabout?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO