Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I rent?

Talking Should I rent?

Hello everyone, I am starting my countdown. Me and the misses are returning to Aruba after 20 years. The first time we went was the same year we married, and now it's time to see it again.

We were kids then, so I do not remember much. I was wondering if someone can suggest if we should rent a car or rely on taxi service? We are staying at the Divi Dutch and do not plan to do too much. But I do like the availabiltiy of getting around when I'm ready or if I decide to just go. Espicially if we discover there is not much to do at the Divi.

We will be there May 24 - May 31, and at the Marriott Renassaince resort May 31 to June 1st (trying to get that one extra day from marriott points

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Well, you've got to figure if you want to go somewhere its a 10-13.oo one way cab ride most places. SO that becomes 20-26.00 round trip. If you decide to rent a car then you can go to far our restuarants such as Flying Fishbone. Other places worth seeing are the California light house, asst restuarants, the new mall at the high rises, then there's downtown,....my suggestion is get a car for 2-3 days, that way you can bop around, hit the highlights, and not feel bad about spending $$$ on cabs those days. When you check into the Ren. you will find being downtown is enough fun, and may not want a car. Plenty to do, plenty not to do...use your walking power. CIndyo

The first two trips we took to Aruba, except for one dinner where we dressed up, we took the bus. They are inexpensive, clean, and run regularly from the hotels to town etc... If you don't plan on straying far, I would suggest you don't get a car and use combo of Bus and taxi.
    If you want to adventure a bit, I definitely agree with Cindy.
    Have Fun, Pete

Dom
    I like the convenience of renting a car. You can rent a small car for around $150/week which is very reasonable. Considering that it will cost about $25 each way to and from the airport, I think renting a car is the way to go. However, I stay in the lowrise area at a timeshare, and I use the car on a daily basis for things like going to the supermarket and going to a restaurant for dinner.
    Last edited by Dom; 04-30-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I also love the convenience of renting a car. I'm not into touring but I like to go up to the high rise section where you are staying (i stay in the low rise area) or run to the supermarket when I want to. Instead of renting a car for a week, you might want to rent for a few days. Check out the local newspapers for 3 day car rentals. Also, Arubus, the public bus system is a safe and cheap way to travel ($1.30 one way, $2.30 round trip).

I also would rent a car...much nicer to be mobile

yes-rent

Rent the car as soon as you arrive at the airport...you will use it and enjoy it

Without a doubt!!!! RENT!!!!

But I do like the availabiltiy of getting around when I'm ready or if I decide to just go.
    Pretty much says it all! My father-in-law is like that. Doesn't want the hassle of waiting for a taxi, just get up and go. If you are looking to save a few $$$, perhaps as others suggested, rent a car for 3 days and do your "running around" then.

Dh are opposite from most other posters. Dh are beach bums during vacation. During our second trip to the island we turned in the car after the second day and taxied to dinner each evening which works out cheaper. I am not a shopper so don't have to worry about running to Oranjestad every other day like my mother-in-law.

Now we rent a car one day during our stay to tour around, see the changes on the island and then that night, use the car to get to the restaurant of choice which would be the furthest, thus most expensive taxi ride. Good examples, places like Marandi, Flying Fishbone or Marina Pirata.

Thanks for advice

Thank you everyone for your comments. I think I will play it safe and plan to rent.

DOM, were can I rent a small car for $150 a week?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast