Aruba Beach
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Retagger

Thread: Small SUV vs Jeep

Small SUV vs Jeep

We are deep in the heart of negotiations for our excursions on our upcoming trip. I was looking into renting a four wheel drive for a day or two. I noticed the cost for a small SUV like a rav4 was significantly less then a jeep. Both are listed as four wheel drive vehicles. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and if you notice a difference. We are not planning on doing any major off roading but would like to have four wheel drive just in case we get to an area where we need it. The only thing I can think of is that the clearance under the rav4 would be lower but I'm not sure if this would be a problem. Thoughts?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    i messaged a friend that does the tours for Depalm and asked her.
    will post her reply

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We are deep in the heart of negotiations for our excursions on our upcoming trip. I was looking into renting a four wheel drive for a day or two. I noticed the cost for a small SUV like a rav4 was significantly less then a jeep. Both are listed as four wheel drive vehicles. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and if you notice a difference. We are not planning on doing any major off roading but would like to have four wheel drive just in case we get to an area where we need it. The only thing I can think of is that the clearance under the rav4 would be lower but I'm not sure if this would be a problem. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We have never rented a jeep or SUV in our 17 trips that we have rented a vehicle. The only place you need one is if you are planning to go to the natural pool or off roading. A car is fine for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    We have never rented a jeep or SUV in our 17 trips that we have rented a vehicle. The only place you need one is if you are planning to go to the natural pool or off roading. A car is fine for everything else.
    I agree, however this is a negotiation in my house..lol. We allow a certain excursion budget and I'm trying to show that a 4 wheel drive vehicle is more economical that renting Atvs for a day. Having it overnight will give us the opportunity to watch the sunrise too.
    For now, we have agreed that IF we rent a vehicle it will be a 4wd. It's still a big if right now.

Aruba since 1979
    from my friend re: your question.....Andrea,For this guest, if they are not planning to go to Arikok, the Rav 4 should be fine. If they are considering Arikok, they will need the additional clearance and off road tires of a jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    from my friend re: your question.....Andrea,For this guest, if they are not planning to go to Arikok, the Rav 4 should be fine. If they are considering Arikok, they will need the additional clearance and off road tires of a jeep.
    Thank you to you and your friend for the response. Sounds like a Jeep is more of what Jon has in mind.

Just remember that all Jeeps are NOT 4 wheel drive. Make sure that you tell them you want a 4WD Jeep.