Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taxi prices

Taxi prices

I have read that taxi's are not metered on Aruba. So, what should you expect to pay per mile? I am going to need a taxi from Airport to Marriott Ocean Club on April 25th at around 12:30 or 12:45 pm. What should I expect to pay? Have read a lot of good things about this Bully person. Should I shoot him an email to see if he's available?

Thanks!

Taxi fares are regulated and set by the government and correct, there are no meters.

Taxi fare from the airport to the Marriott's (Palm beach/high rise) is $25 each way. This is per fare, NOT per person.

There is an additional $3 charge on Sunday and holidays.

Reserve Bully when your air is booked.
    Bully the taxi driver

email is
    bullytaxi79@hotmail.com

The reply will be from Amador Lacle, and check your spam/junk folder.

NEW TAXI rates effective Sept 1 2009

I found a copy of the taxi's fees on another board. Let me find the link its 11 pages long and is good until 2012

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Aruba_Taxi_Fares.pdf

here are the government set taxi fares.

I recommend printing out and bringing the taxi price sheets linked on this and other threads, it's a good idea to have an estimate of what you should pay. As noted on this forum, the taxi prices are fixed, the taxi drivers cannot charge you prices different from the price sheets.

However, my wife and I did run across a situation with a taxi driver who drove us from Ling and Sons supermarket back to Amsterdam Manor in the low rise area (we took the bus to get to the store). We knew the fare should be about $7-8 dollars, but when we asked how much it was after he dropped us off, he replied "Whatever your conscience tells you.” I interpret that as a hope that I won’t know how much the fare is and give him more than the standard fare, which makes me angry that he was preying on tourists’ naivety. I asked his the same question a second time, and then he admitted it was $8.

However, this was the only time we had any issues with taxis, the other taxi drivers were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by grsoren View Post
    I recommend printing out and bringing the taxi price sheets linked on this and other threads, it's a good idea to have an estimate of what you should pay. As noted on this forum, the taxi prices are fixed, the taxi drivers cannot charge you prices different from the price sheets.

Excellent point of information. ALSO be aware that drivers are required to carry the sheets and show them to you if requested.

We had an unfortunate experience one year outside of the Holiday Inn. From my trip report:

Our worst "taxi" incident incident came outside the Holiday Inn returning back to the Tamarijn from Palm Beach following our day aboard the Jolly Pirates. We walked outside of the lobby at the Holiday Inn and there were 4 taxi drivers seated on benches hanging out. Since our friends were with us we were 7 people total and needed 2 taxis anyway, so this was perfect. Dh asked them what the fare was to the Tamarijn and they eyed up one another and one of the drivers said "$10". Knowing what we were up against, before we even left the Tamarijn in the morning, dh confirmed with our favorite concierge Iris that the fair should be $8.

Dh politely but forcefully asked to see their fare sheet where it showed the fare was $10. Well don't you know all of a sudden they acted like they could even barely understand English. Dh did not back down and again asked to see it in writing. Finally one of the drivers got up and went to his taxi to get the fare sheet. He came back with it, but then walked away from us hiding by the corner of the building to eye up the chart. He then came over to us saying insisting it was $10, still not showing us the chart. Dh told all 4 drivers point blank that sure we would pay the $10, since obviously we had no choice, but we were also going to take the taxi's numbers and report the drivers to the Aruba Tourism Authority.

Well gosh, don't you know , all of a sudden the taxi driver who had the sheet in his hand, stumbles over to me and points to Oranjestad ($10). Yeah, right, we told them all right from the start that we were all going to the Tamarijn! They do not even come close to sounding alike and I have only been to Oranjestad twice in the past 5 years. SO, clarifying that we were going to the Tamarijn, I showed the driver it was $8. Normally we would have paid him the $8 for the fare and a $2 tip for a total of $10 anyway. Needless to say, we did not tip him and he only got his $8 so he lost out for his foolish behavior. Our friends also did not tip their driver and would have under better circumstances.

Aruba since 1979
    that is totally wrong.
    i am glad that you asked again.
    he would have lost his tip if it were me :-(

great advice to print and bring!!!

printing out the
    Quote Originally Posted by grsoren View Post

However, my wife and I did run across a situation with a taxi driver who drove us from Ling and Sons supermarket back to Amsterdam Manor in the low rise area (we took the bus to get to the store). We knew the fare should be about $7-8 dollars, but when we asked how much it was after he dropped us off, he replied "Whatever your conscience tells you.” I interpret that as a hope that I won’t know how much the fare is and give him more than the standard fare, which makes me angry that he was preying on tourists’ naivety. I asked his the same question a second time, and then he admitted it was $8.

However, this was the only time we had any issues with taxis, the other taxi drivers were very good.

I want to make sure I'm reading the fare chart correctly.

I'm staying at the Tam, which is a low rise hotel (correct?), so I would assume that the fare for us to go to San Nicolaas would be $33? If I wanted to go to the Downtown Restaurants, it would be $9, right? Are all of the places listed on pages 3-11 cities in Aruba, while pages 1 & 2 are attractions (on the left)? What is the difference between what is on the top of that chart & what is on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by cupidgirl21483 View Post
    I want to make sure I'm reading the fare chart correctly.

I'm staying at the Tam, which is a low rise hotel (correct?), so I would assume that the fare for us to go to San Nicolaas would be $33? If I wanted to go to the Downtown Restaurants, it would be $9, right? Are all of the places listed on pages 3-11 cities in Aruba, while pages 1 & 2 are attractions (on the left)? What is the difference between what is on the top of that chart & what is on the left?
    You are correct in the fares.

Take the left column, where you are located and follow along the line to the destination like you did for Tamarijn to San Nicolas or Oranjestad OR place of interest to your location such as low rise. For example donkey sanctuary to low rise is $24 each way.

On the airport from/to hotels page, you can also just follow along the line to determine the fare from say high rise to high rise, $6 each way.

I figured that's how it went, I just wanted to check with the experts so I don't get any taxi drivers trying to take advantage. Thank you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast