Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Taxis in January 2016

Taxis in January 2016

We've had a terrible time with cabs this trip. Wrong turns, complete lack of knowledge of major parts of the island and landmarks, ill-advised route choices, drivers with filthy minivans, drivers not paying attention to the road because they're more concerned with their friend's update on how bored they are... on an on.

This is how regulation starts. That'll go over well, I'm sure.

So here's my advice: if you're going to take a taxi on the island, either, go with a known quantity OR make absolutely sure you know where you're going because the person behind the wheel might have no idea and it'll be up to you and Jesus to find your destination.

If you get a fantastic taxi driver, ask for their card (they ALL have cards) and hang onto them for dear life.

And if a terrible one tries to force their card on you, politely decline and ask them if they've considered selling Amway.

Ugh.

I always though taxis were regulated and licenses were hard to come by. We were once told that drivers had to be native Arubans or have a license passed down to them. Does anyone know of this is true?

Sounds like lately the customer service side of things has been lacking for some of the drivers. Most drivers we had on our last trip spent significant time on their phones. As for directions, well no excuses. In that business, they should the island like the back of their hand. It's a small island, how hard can it be? Since they aren't metered it's in the drivers' best interests to know better routes. It's just business, faster drop offs, more fares.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

EXACTLY why we love Bully. Honest, hardworking, dependable...knowledgeable ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Bully spent half of our ride to flying Fishbone on the phone with another customer about a tour. He was very nice though, and did give us good information. It seems distracted driving is common in Aruba
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 01-14-2016 at 01:41 PM.

I like getting different cab drivers and talking to them about their island, maybe its because I have not met Bully yet, some are excellent and others stink, but I enjoy the interaction none the less. I am pretty sure they all need to come from Aruba, I have never had one that was not born and raised, I always ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I always though taxis were regulated and licenses were hard to come by. We were once told that drivers had to be native Arubans or have a license passed down to them. Does anyone know of this is true?

Sounds like lately the customer service side of things has been lacking for some of the drivers. Most drivers we had on our last trip spent significant time on their phones. As for directions, well no excuses. In that business, they should the island like the back of their hand. It's a small island, how hard can it be? Since they aren't metered it's in the drivers' best interests to know better routes. It's just business, faster drop offs, more fares.
    We tried A1 but we didn't have a good experience. We're collecting cards of good drivers that we randomly run into. It seems we have better luck just calling ad hoc.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I don't really care if he's on the phone while driving us. He has a business to run. All I need to know is he's there for us, we can call him anytime with any emergency and he's there. Being our friend is more to us than him having to take a call. Heck he has a business to run. Jmop

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    I don't really care if he's on the phone while driving us. He has a business to run. All I need to know is he's there for us, we can call him anytime with any emergency and he's there. Being our friend is more to us than him having to take a call. Heck he has a business to run. Jmop
    From the reviews we see, I think I was just expecting a more personal connection. I think it's different for customers who build relationships with anyone who provides a service. We just haven't had that connection in our 2 experiences. I always recommend him for friends looking for a tour based on what I read hear and on other forums, but just for a ride to dinner or the airport, I'm personally okay with just taking the next man up in line.

We had minor issues on both trips woth Bully, one handled to our satisfaction, another didn't leave the best impression but I have chose not to share beca use overall it wasn't that big of a deal.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Distracted driving will always be a concern of mine. I'm all for hands free headsets, which I've never seen any of our Aruba taxi drivers use.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    You're right
    its that personal connection
    pls take no offense in what I've written Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    You're right
    its that personal connection
    pls take no offense in what I've written Tracey
    Oh no offense of course. It's good to have many opinions and options out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast