Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Taxis in January 2016

On one hand I understand a taxi driver needing to set up appointments because that is how they make a living. On the other hand, I hate when my taxi driver is on the phone, its a safety issue for sure. I won't talk on the phone and drive with my son in the car, I rarely ever talk on the phone even using a hands free devices when he is not in the car- or at least I try not to. I certainly don't want someone else chatting with my families safety on the line.

My wife works for a division of J&J, I need to take the drivers safety classes/test every year to drive her company car...the stats around distracted drivers and accidents are staggering....the yearly tests/videos, and my wife's "friendly" reminders about the dangers is enough to keep me from increasing my odds of an accident and I put the phone away, most conversations can wait a few minutes.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-15-2016 at 05:07 PM.

We dealt with another cab company a few nights ago and the dispatcher was working out of his car. He assured me someone would be here in 5-10 mins. No sign of them. Called him back (he was still driving) and he said I told him the wrong address. Uh, no, we know our address, buddy.... YOU were distracted.

I noticed that this year more taxis driving like "maniacs"!! I was in one taxi to go to the grocery store and I had to tell him to SLOW DOWN. Luckily, we use Bully and Hubert a majority of the time and I feel quite safe with them.

Last year my sons were in a taxi who was a total maniac, speeding and driving on shoulders, going the wrong way down somewhere they shouldn't, etc. They said they would never go with him again. A few years ago one of our friends took a taxi in Aruba and the driver was watching a movie on his ipad while driving!!!

As a general comment, I don't like driving with taxis or anyone while on the phone. Many taxi drivers in Aruba tend to text while driving, which as we all know is extremely dangerous. In addition, many taxis in Aruba don't have bluetooth so they need to hold the phone and/or dial... I DON'T LIKE THIS!

I think Aruba needs to get a little tougher on their taxi industry with respect to speeding, using the phone etc to ensure safety of their passengers.

Last year while we were in Europe we were in a taxi that was speeding, I was thrilled when he got pulled over by the police (we were in the car)
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I always sit in the front because of motion sickness if I sit in the back...and I am a pretty easy going guy, BUT if some "idiot" was attempting to watch his ipad while driving me and my family around, we would have serious issues. His ipad would be out the window or someplace else he would not like so quick it would not be funny, lol.

No I would not actually toss the Ipad out the window but he certainly would not look at it again after my reaction, lmao.

We too, love Bully. But for our last min dinner trips we just call for whoever is available. I guess we've been pretty lucky. Clean cars, prompt, polite. We did get a "dispatcher" one night...that crap was nuts! She was 100% booking other rides/cars and just driving us on auto pilot, we were thrilled to get the heck out! Maybe the quality of our hometown UBER rides have dulled the expectations for us when traveling

happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

That was a pretty powerful video, thanks.

Too bad they don't take this more seriously in Aruba despite making this video there.

Randi, I love Aruba and everything about it, EXCEPT, some of the drivers stink on their best day- and I am not talking about the taxi drivers, although by the sounds of it many could be included. Its one of the reasons we don't venture out much, the other is we love be lazy on the beach after so many trips.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-18-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12