Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14

Thread: Are these paved roads?

Are these paved roads?

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and from the posts I have been reading, everyone sounds so friendly here! I am hoping you can help me with something I could not find in other posts. Are the following roads paved or dirt roads?

Road from cruise port/downtown to the bottom of Mount Hooiberg (where the stairs start)?
    Road to Ayo?
    Casibari?
    Roads to Fontiein and Quadikakiri Caves within Arikok? (My impression from other posts is that these last ones are dirt roads, but I would appreciate confirmation.)

Are there other scenic areas that easily accessible via paved roads only, without needing a four wheel drive vehicle? Thank you so much for your help! We have never been to Aruba and will be visiting at the end of July.

Donna

Aruba since 1979
    hi donna and welcome to the aruba.com community forum

most everyone is quite friendly and helpful here

i cannot answer the 4 paved road questions as i am unsure, so i will let someone else comment.

we have driven thru the arikok and stayed on the paved road section.

other points of interest that are paved.....the california lighthouse, alto vista chapel. the road to the gold mine ruins is a hard packed surface, somewhat paved, but not totally.

Hi Donna. I am pretty sure you can get to Ayo Rock formations on all paved roads, not sure about the others. I recommend you check out Google Earth. Its amazing how much detail you can really see. This is different that the standard google maps, you have to download google earth. I spent a lot of time on it before we rented ATVs just to get familiar with the areas I wanted to see. Just be prepared, that even with a map, there are not many street signs so it still gets tricky.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

My Borch map of Aruba has a legend explaining the road types. I don't know how exact it is, but it's a great map of Aruba overall.

All paved roads with the exception of the ones to the caves within Arikok National Park.

Actually I will revise this to say some of the roads are not asphalt, but perfectly accessible by car. This is the road which takes you to the Ayo Rock Formations. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.

Are these paved roads?-ayo_neighborhood_pano.jpg

The roads to the caves are probably passable by car. At worst you could attempt it and if difficult you can turn around. The entrance to Fontein cave is just off a paved road.

Are these paved roads?-fontein_cave_entrance_panoramab.jpg

As you can see on the day this photo was taken, there were plenty of cars that made it to Fontein just fine.

Last edited by Arubalisa; 06-27-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    All the roads are paved except to the caves and they are gravel and can be a little rough at times. We had no trouble driving a car to them. The road to Hooiberg and Casibari rocks is the same road basically. It is the highway that runs down the middle of the island. The turnoff to Casibari rocks is a road named Casibari. There are very few signs pointing to the park though so you just take that road(turn left if coming from the north) until you see the entrance on the right. We passed it twice before we found it. They have restrooms and a snack bar there too. No charge to get in. The road to Ayo is paved until you get there.

Hi Donna! Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Thank you, everyone, for all of your help! We'll try to make it to all of these, but we'll make sure we are not violating the rental car contract first. Can't wait to come! Thank you!

I don't think you would have an issue. Talk to the rental car contact. Let them know where you plan to go and see what they say!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ