Aruba Beach
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Thinking of Changing Our Plan~taxi???

  1. #1
    Senior Member wildewoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    160

    Thinking of Changing Our Plan~taxi???

    We leave for Aruba in 20 days (can you believe it ~ the year has just flown by ) and now I am thinking of changing our plans - just a little.

    We have reservations for dinner at the Flying Fishbone at 5 pm (sharp)

    I had heard that taxis were expensive so I have rented us a car for that day. The plan was to pick up the car - go see some other beaches (we are staying at the Surf Club) do some snorkeling, see the island - but we have a private ATV tour booked - so we'll see the island.

    I'm just thinking if we get the car - go to some beachs & snorkle - I will have my eye on the watch to ensure we get the coveted table in the sand to watch the sun set.

    I also wanted to do some shopping in Oran. Which means we'd have to be there around 3 pm - not much time to snorkle.

    Could I rent a taxi for a few hours - to take us to Oran & then to the Flying Fishbone?? How much would that cost?? Is the bus totally out of the question??

    Am I just over-thinking this (I am packing already, making my lists & checking them twice)

    Thanks so much!!
    Linda
    Last edited by wildewoman; 05-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    1. The ATV tour will only show you a glimpse of Arikok National Park. According to aruba.com it encompasses 18% of the island mass. Look at a map and it looks like more than that!

    2. The ATV tour will only show you a highlight of the island, depending upon the tour, do they not all pretty much concentrate on the northern end of the island?

    3. If you are worried about time, leave shopping in Oranjestad for another day (go first thing in the a.m. when it is cooler) and just take the bus. Very easy.

    4. If you decide on a private tour by taxi the rates are $40 per hour per fare, that is NOT per person.
    http://taxiaruba.com/new/policy.html
    http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html

    5. Imo, if you enjoy snorkeling you could easily spend half a day just doing that at one or more of the various locations on the island.

  3. #3
    Senior Member wildewoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    160
    We have a snorkle trip booked with Jolly Pirates too. There is so much to see & do ~ for the day we have the car I have listed:

    Butterfly Farm
    Donkey Farm
    Snorkel at Boca Catalina
    Shop in Ora

    Be at Flying Fish Bone at 5 pm (sharp)

    I think if I just focus on the dinner plans & snorkeling it may work out. We are picking up the car at 8 am at the Holiday Inn. Is parking pretty easy at the Flying Sish Bone?

    As always, thanks Lisa!!
    Linda

  4. #4
    Member ScubaBOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Underwater
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
    We have a snorkle trip booked with Jolly Pirates too. There is so much to see & do ~ for the day we have the car I have listed:

    Butterfly Farm
    Donkey Farm
    Snorkel at Boca Catalina
    Shop in Ora

    Be at Flying Fish Bone at 5 pm (sharp)

    I think if I just focus on the dinner plans & snorkeling it may work out. We are picking up the car at 8 am at the Holiday Inn. Is parking pretty easy at the Flying Sish Bone?

    As always, thanks Lisa!!
    Linda
    Is your Jolly trip the same day? Which crusie is it, the Morning or Afternoon? The Morning trip departs at 9:00am and gets back around 1:00pm. The Afternoon trip sails from 2:00pm to about 5:00pm.

    You could do the Butterfly Farm and shopping expedition downtown on a seperate day. From the Marriott, the farm is a long walk down to the Divi Phoenix, but it could be done. You could shop along the way at the different resorts.

    From there you could catch a bus downtown and return to the Marriott on one.
    The bus is out of the question. You could catch one from the Mariott to downtown, and then transfer to one headed towards San Nicolas, but the restaurant is not on a bus route so you'd end up walking from the main road.

    If you're leaving form the Marriott I would give yourself an hour to get there. 45 minutes at the bare minimum as traffic headed that way can be heavy at that time of day.
    Last edited by ScubaBOS; 05-04-2008 at 11:03 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member wildewoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    160
    Thanks.

    Maybe just bag the other snorkle trip - hang out at the resort in the morning - then take the car to Ora. around noonish. Shop, then head down to dinner.

    Maybe we could fit in the Butterfly Farm!! (see, here I go again!! )

    We don't want to be rushed.

    Linda

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    26
    Just returned and friends of ours canceled their reservations at Flying Fishbones because they were told the cab ride is $38 one way. Others said it really isn't worth the ride unless you have rented a car.

  7. #7
    Member ArubaLiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    49
    Hi Linda -

    We will be at the Surf Club the same time as you! For this trip the only thing we have planned is to cruise around on a Harley for a day. Other than that we will either be pool side or beach side. May be we will see you there. We will be the ones with the fruity drinks in our hand floating around the lazy river. Oh wait, that describes most of the people there! Can't wait for our trip!

    ~ Liz


    Get me back to Aruba!

  8. #8
    Senior Member wildewoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaBOS View Post
    Is your Jolly trip the same day? Which crusie is it, the Morning or Afternoon? The Morning trip departs at 9:00am and gets back around 1:00pm. The Afternoon trip sails from 2:00pm to about 5:00pm.

    You could do the Butterfly Farm and shopping expedition downtown on a seperate day. From the Marriott, the farm is a long walk down to the Divi Phoenix, but it could be done. You could shop along the way at the different resorts.

    From there you could catch a bus downtown and return to the Marriott on one.
    The bus is out of the question. You could catch one from the Mariott to downtown, and then transfer to one headed towards San Nicolas, but the restaurant is not on a bus route so you'd end up walking from the main road.

    If you're leaving form the Marriott I would give yourself an hour to get there. 45 minutes at the bare minimum as traffic headed that way can be heavy at that time of day.
    No ~ our Jolly Pirate trip is on a different day - we leave at 9:30 am & return at 2 pm. Nothing else planned that day.

    I think we'll keep the car idea - just remove a lot of the things we were going to do that day!! We'll get the car in the morning - go to the Butterfly Farm (drive there) then back to Surf Club - to change clothes. Head to Ora - to shop - then on to dinner.

    I always over book our trips (& over pack)

    Can't wait!!

    Thanks again!!
    Linda

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildewoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaLiz View Post
    Hi Linda -

    We will be at the Surf Club the same time as you! For this trip the only thing we have planned is to cruise around on a Harley for a day. Other than that we will either be pool side or beach side. May be we will see you there. We will be the ones with the fruity drinks in our hand floating around the lazy river. Oh wait, that describes most of the people there! Can't wait for our trip!

    ~ Liz

    I'll be the one in the black cowboy hat ~ it goes everywhere with me!!

    Linda

  10. #10
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
    I'll be the one in the black cowboy hat ~ it goes everywhere with me!!
    Linda
    Just make sure that hat is tight on your head with those Aruban tradewinds!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO