Aruba Beach

Thread: Third party liability clarification

Third party liability clarification

Does anyone know definitively if third party liability that is included in your car rental rate covers both physical damage to the car you hit as well as bodily injury to the occupants of that car?

You need to read the contract. Ask the rental agency to send you a copy of the "fine print" prior to the rental. This way you will know whether you need to make alternate arrangements.

My confusion is heightened by info from an aruban insurance agent that TPLI covers both by law but I can find no indication on any site that spells this out.

I see a lot of concerns on here about physical damage mostly to the rented vehicle and to a third party vehicle but little if any questions raised regarding our liability for personal injury we might cause in an accident.

Do others have similar concerns?

Aruba since 1979
    honestly i do not have the concern and i rent for 2 weeks a 2 x a yr.
    heck, maybe i should :-( ?

we ALWAYS make sure that when we rent, we have it on our credit card that includes insurance AND our trip insurance INCLUDES car insurance.

check with your credit card co on what they cover.
    check with your usa car insurance company and see if aruba is car rental is covered (usually not)
    check with the company you want to rent from in aruba.

also too, check with www.insuremytrip.com

Quote Originally Posted by nalismom View Post
    My confusion is heightened by info from an aruban insurance agent that TPLI covers both by law but I can find no indication on any site that spells this out.

I see a lot of concerns on here about physical damage mostly to the rented vehicle and to a third party vehicle but little if any questions raised regarding our liability for personal injury we might cause in an accident.

Do others have similar concerns?

Credit cards only cover the vehicle for collision or theft up to 50k. Allstate does not cover you for liability outside of the 50 states. I have spent several days researching this issue and I cannot find much if any info on if we cause personal injury to others. A friend who is traveling with us and she is a risk manager for a big US company (not car rentals) and she deals with this all the time and has witnessed financial ruin for such incidents for others. She has certainly raised my paranoia. To have to pay a deductible or the cost of a car is one thing...to be held liable for personal injury is another matter.

Aruba since 1979
    i am going to email hans dhooge of tropic car rental and ask his opinion.

when he replies, i will post.

Quote Originally Posted by nalismom View Post
    Credit cards only cover the vehicle for collision or theft up to 50k. Allstate does not cover you for liability outside of the 50 states. I have spent several days researching this issue and I cannot find much if any info on if we cause personal injury to others. A friend who is traveling with us and she is a risk manager for a big US company (not car rentals) and she deals with this all the time and has witnessed financial ruin for such incidents for others. She has certainly raised my paranoia. To have to pay a deductible or the cost of a car is one thing...to be held liable for personal injury is another matter.