Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Drive Car Rental.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i know alamo doesn't do that. and yes, you're right, tropic doesn't do that either. i mean it makes no sense if you take out the insurance or if you have your own insurance on the credit card. isn't that the whole point of the insurance? oh well, i can't see renting from someone, pay $500 as a deposit, take out insurance on top of that. it seems like overkill. I guess whatever makes you comfortable. i've never rented from avis so that may be why i've never heard of it. i've only rented from tropic in aruba, local rental places on other islands and alamo here in the states. maybe the other big companies do that. live and learn, lol...

When in doubt ask.

If you do not like the policy, go elsewhere.

After our trip in June, we are finished using internationally "known" car rental companies. In Aruba they are merely franchises and you will never receive the backing from the corporation here in the states should there be any issues.

Unfortunate for our family that Hans aka Tropic only rents compact cars. BUT thankfully there are plenty of other car rental companies on the island who are not "big names" and provide full service.

<<stepping off my soap box now >>

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thanks, I will if I need to.

I rented a car from TOP drive last year and they were awesome. Will pick you up at the airport and take you to there location 2 minutes away. The office is small but they were very professional. The SUV was clean and dent free. We will always use them. Hope this helps

lbl
    Bunker or Coconuts Bar (Tamarijn)- with Friends :)
    We rented a couple of weeks ago using Royal...and we were made aware that they were having us sign an extra CC slip for a deposit, charged if needed for security deposit. Had a good experience with Royal (Rishi) they brought our jeep to us and then picked it up at the agreed upon time.

Every rental car company in the US charges a $250 deposit. I have seen many people at the counter while picking up my car wondering why their Debit/ Credit card was refused for a $50 rental and the agent explaining they put a $250 deposit on the card. Saw one guy go thru 3 or 4 cards to find one that was not declined.

Have rented on St Thomas, St Maarten, Cozumel, Bonaire, Bahamas, Caymans and Puerto Rico and don't remember any rental car compmay large and small not saying something about a deposit.

SD

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum
    Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel105 View Post
    Every rental car company in the US charges a $250 deposit. I have seen many people at the counter while picking up my car wondering why their Debit/ Credit card was refused for a $50 rental and the agent explaining they put a $250 deposit on the card. Saw one guy go thru 3 or 4 cards to find one that was not declined.

Have rented on St Thomas, St Maarten, Cozumel, Bonaire, Bahamas, Caymans and Puerto Rico and don't remember any rental car compmay large and small not saying something about a deposit.

SD

I have used top drive for the last few years with no problems. The deposit doesn't go on your credit card automatically, they hold onto the cc slip until you return the vehicle and then you can tear up the slip.

I've used Top Drive several times on the island. Their cars are in fair condition and they have great prices. Just be advised that they are not right at the airport but just down the street...but they will meet you at the airport with your rental car. :-)

Just returned home from Aruba Monday night. We have used Top Drive the last five years with no problems. I rented two different vehicles from them this trip (Dodge caravan and Hyundai accent) and both were newer models with under 15,000 miles. Great vehicles. I would recommend them.
    Last edited by Arubaron; 12-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast