Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Trolley on Aruba

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.

TROLLEY clang went the trolley; Ding, ding, ding went the bell!

Good morning everybody,

It's okay. I'm not trying out for a part in a musical. I just couldn't do justice to Judy Garland.

But I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the progress on the trolley being installed in downtown Oranjestad. This item has been discussed at some length on another forum, but I've heard almost nothing about it lately and on this forum, almost nothing at all, unless I missed a meeting.

Some may have wondered as to who/what was the driving force behind this project. Apparently the local Aruban government would like to see cruise passengers roam a bit further than just the area around Little Switzerland, and this was thought of as a good way of moving them around, at least along Mainstreet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or photos or even a schedule as to when the trolley is supposed to be operational? Love to here from you.

Bye for now,

Glenn

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    When down in June saw the trolley tracks in a pile and some of the area torn up but do not know any projected date. Knowing Aruba can't even say what year.

We are on the island now - Some of the streets are ripped up now, there is concrete & track installed, but no where near a finished "line" - who knows when it will be up & running.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning everybody,

It's okay. I'm not trying out for a part in a musical. I just couldn't do justice to Judy Garland.

But I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the progress on the trolley being installed in downtown Oranjestad. This item has been discussed at some length on another forum, but I've heard almost nothing about it lately and on this forum, almost nothing at all, unless I missed a meeting.

Some may have wondered as to who/what was the driving force behind this project. Apparently the local Aruban government would like to see cruise passengers roam a bit further than just the area around Little Switzerland, and this was thought of as a good way of moving them around, at least along Mainstreet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or photos or even a schedule as to when the trolley is supposed to be operational? Love to here from you.

Bye for now,

Glenn
    Minister Zievinger and DOW (Public Work) garantee that it will be function by December
    for all of your aruba tour needs! http://www.wixtours.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marcntonio View Post
    Minister Zievinger and DOW (Public Work) garantee that it will be function by December
    Did they say which year?

Trolley Construction

Here are photos of the construction of the trolley tracks in Oranjestaad, taken on Monday:

http://bentpage.net/2012/07/25/a-tro...ming-to-aruba/

Not sure how this will work but will be an interesting development.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Buffam's Tropical Haven, Eagle Beach, Tulip, Salt & Pepper
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Did they say which year?
    LOL....good question!

hurts cab drivers

The main street will be transform in an "Open air mall with lots of activities,palapas
    restaurant activities and shopping
    It will not hurt the taxis because taxi will not transfers people from the cruise terminal to down town (short distance)
    Down town and the tram will be finish by December 2012 Its a master plan of the government to upgrade down town and Oranjestad (the project is called Bo Aruba)
    for all of your aruba tour needs! http://www.wixtours.com/

Renaissance behind the Renaissance?

I welcome the project and hope for its timely completion. It has really been sad to see how badly the "back" of the downtown area has "slipped". I remember enjoying it in the late 1990's, but there's not much to enjoy there now.

May I suggest the following name for the project:
    Renaissance behind the Renaissance?
    ........with CindyO and daughters
    Annual Aruba visits since 1997....September 2014 and New Year 2015 are next

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast