Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very difficult to drive!

Very difficult to drive!

There are NO street signs and we ended up being very frustrated. Alot of people didnt speak english so it was even harder!

get yourself a good map (borch is best)...and make sure to drive around during the day when you can still see things. Part of the fun of driving on Aruba is getting lost...you can never get too lost!

Quote Originally Posted by ColdinNY2 View Post
    There are NO street signs and we ended up being very frustrated. Alot of people didnt speak english so it was even harder!
    We have been to Aruba 7 times and still get lost in town and (less often) out in the cunucu. It's hard not to get frustrated.

We solved the problem by going to town by public transport when we would be staying for a meal and it would be dark. Other than that we decided to make a game of it. I can you how many times we passed El Gaucho while looking for something else because we decided to count passings. Last time to Rumba we passed ElGaucho only twice. That was a record.

It's all in your attitude/perception I suppose. (Not that saying that helps much)

We think it's rather easy to drive in Aruba compared to other places. The signs are fairly easy to understand and the island is small so you can never get too lost. There's traffic, but it's not dangerously crazy and most roads run east-west or north-south.

Now Naples or Athens...THAT'S difficult driving.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    NancyG
    ~~~~~~~~~~

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    aruba was a breeze compared to curacao..in curacao people really didn't speak english and all signs were in dutch..street signs on map weren't on the road and the one's on the road weren't on the map..my wife and i were driving up this road doing about 40 mph and she's reading the map and she tells me from reading the map that the turn we need is just above the crest of the hill..when i hit the crest of the hill doing 40 mph no less the road just ended..i had to slam on the brakes and avoid trees and rocks while getting the car to stop..now that's excitement..needless to say after that we took the car back to the rental place and cabbed it from then on or walked..
    scott and tricia

You guys are too much.

I prefer driving in Aruba to driving in England. But it is fun to see the looks on the faces of the oncoming drivers as I drive on the wrong side of the road.

Half the fun of driving in Aruba is getting lost. Still get lost after trip number 6. Found some great places while lost.

...and the bright side is... the island is less than 20 miles long as the crow flies...

Wink

JAN. 31st WILL BE MY 39th TRIP, STILL GET LOST " I LOVE IT "

You don't know what 'getting lost' is all about until you try to drive back from Marandi in the dark (even though they GIVE you a hand-drawn map to help).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast