Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very difficult to drive!

After driving in Puerto Rico, Aruba is a breeze. You can't get too lost and communication with others is relatively easy. I drive and the hubby navigates no matter where were are. As with so many things in life, it's all a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by suesull View Post
    After driving in Puerto Rico, Aruba is a breeze. You can't get too lost and communication with others is relatively easy. I drive and the hubby navigates no matter where were are. As with so many things in life, it's all a matter of perspective.

Agreed. We got way more lost in Puerto Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdinNY2 View Post
    There are NO street signs and we ended up being very frustrated. Alot of people didnt speak english so it was even harder!
    Come on. How can you get lost on Aruba? The island is tiny, there are only a few major roads. Even with the simplest of maps you can get anywhere.

BTW: Why should people have to speak English? Maybe try adapting to the country you are visiting. That includes trying to speak some basic Papiamento with the emphasis on trying, your effort will be rewarded.

Aruba since 1979
    maybe it is because i have had unpleasant dealings with a community member today..................and my mood has soured........................but, is this beginning to get a bit mean spirited?

yup even with the simplest of maps, with good diagrams, my friend charlie and i became so lost driving from the aruba airport to lacabana that i became nervous
    (how many times have i made that trip????? 30, 40, 50?).

i tried looking at the direction the trees were blowing/leaning and did not have a clue. get this, we wound up after 35 minutes of driving, wound up in the wayaca neighborhood (where cheryl's house is). a grand total of 20 miles driven and we wound up 1 mile from where we started. talk about feeling stupid?

and we did stop to ask directions 2x and both times the folks were able to answer us in poor English...but communication was made!

yup, many of us can get lost in aruba.....been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    Come on. How can you get lost on Aruba? The island is tiny, there are only a few major roads. Even with the simplest of maps you can get anywhere.

please play nice

andrea

BTW: Why should people have to speak English? Maybe try adapting to the country you are visiting. That includes trying to speak some basic Papiamento with the emphasis on trying, your effort will be rewarded.

Trying to drive on St Thomas and St. John was aweful! Not only do you drive on the "wrong" side of the road (to quote Kenny Chesney!) but its nothing but curves/switchbacks and takes 40 minutes to drive 12 miles. (12 miles the way the crow flies = 30 miles on the road!) Add the "taxis" to the equation (pickup trucks with benches in the back) driven by locals 100mph and whew! I have yet to make my first trip to aruba (4 weeks from today! ) but I can't imagine its worse. I mean, isn't Aruba basically flat? you can't drive on STJohn after a rain without 4wheel drive.

I think it helps to study arial views (google satelite or something) of an island before you go, then you can kind of get your "bearings." JMHO!!
    the sun and the sand, and a drink in my hand...

Everyone who has ever tried to drive in Aruba has done it wrong. We have all ended up wrong way on a one way street. Usually they honk (what is new) and I think the locals like the change of pace.

I would just enjoy being there. I am in no way condoning bad driving, but it happens. Remember ONE HAPPY ISLAND!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12