Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SanNic44

Thread: Walking or driving around Aruba

Walking or driving around Aruba

Hello!

We are coming down to Aruba for the first time in a couple weeks. We are pretty sure we are renting a car but I'm trying to get a feel for how far away things are on the island. I realize it is only about 20 miles long so nothing is real "far". We are staying at the Aruba Beach Club which appears to be right near downtown. Would it be a reasonable walk to some of the downtown restaurants (like Bob's Pizza or the Old Fisherman). And where would I find the flea market?

Thank you! We are really looking forward to the trip!

Aruba since 1979
    pizza bob's is a 2 minute walk from the ABC.

Old Fisherman would be a 1 hour walk... too hot, or a 10 minute bus ride.Old Fisherman is downtown located on the street after the bus depot.

the flea market is located halfway down the boulevard to downtown on the left about 200 yds past certified grocery.

there are also little flea market like kiosks along the waterfront across from royal plaza mall downtown

most folks find the bus perfectly fine and convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PharmDs View Post
    Hello!

We are coming down to Aruba for the first time in a couple weeks. We are pretty sure we are renting a car but I'm trying to get a feel for how far away things are on the island. I realize it is only about 20 miles long so nothing is real "far". We are staying at the Aruba Beach Club which appears to be right near downtown. Would it be a reasonable walk to some of the downtown restaurants (like Bob's Pizza or the Old Fisherman). And where would I find the flea market?

Thank you! We are really looking forward to the trip!

Thanks for the information! We hadn't really considered the bus. I imagine that could get us to most places on the island? For instance, if we wanted to try different beaches for snorkeling and such, and head down to Savaneta?

Aruba since 1979
    yes indeed

here is the bus website

www.arubus.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2PharmDs View Post
    Thanks for the information! We hadn't really considered the bus. I imagine that could get us to most places on the island? For instance, if we wanted to try different beaches for snorkeling and such, and head down to Savaneta?

Personally, I a car person. I like to get out and see things when I travel. Things like Baby beach or the other side of the island would be very difficult or expensive without. That being said, if you are not that adventurous, then the occasional cab or bus but be better for you.

We've always gotten a car, and find the island easy to navigate and vehicle friendly. They drive on the right hand side of the road. Also, have never gotten the sense that the police target rentals as I've heard happens in other countries. I kids do like to call the round abouts death circles, but I'm sure they are safe. Only other advice, is I've noticed locals really don't like stop signs. In fact had a driver once who at every sign would say "you know, I don't to stop". Maybe it is an Aruba thing.

If you do get a car one word of advice would be to sign up for Amex car rental service. It kicks in automatically if you rent using the card and costs about $25. There is some great info on this board which is where I learned about it.

If you're going beyond Oranjestaad, I highly recommend a car. The cabs to the other side of the bridge are expensive and less frequent. Bus service is designed for residents and does not stop all that close to things you might want to do, especially in the Savaneta area.

Enjoy your visit.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Thanks for all the advice. We did end up renting through Optima/Payless (thanks to recommendations on this forum) and are looking forward to the freedom of roaming around, not to mention finding restaurants. SanNic44, I have been on your site and we have bookmarked a couple of your recommendations. 3 days until we leave!

Aruba since 1979
    have a wonderful time in aruba and safe and fun travels

QUOTE=2PharmDs;242264]Thanks for all the advice. We did end up renting through Optima/Payless (thanks to recommendations on this forum) and are looking forward to the freedom of roaming around, not to mention finding restaurants. SanNic44, I have been on your site and we have bookmarked a couple of your recommendations. 3 days until we leave![/QUOTE]