Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What type of car do I need?

What type of car do I need?

We're staying at the Tamarijn in June and planning to hire a car for just three days to see some of the island. In particular we would like to go to the California Lighthouse and then continue along the northeast coastline. I have done it once before and from memory the road was pretty rough. Do I need a 4 x 4 for that or will something like a Kia Sportage do?

Arashi Beach, Boca Catalina Beach, Light house
    To get to the lighthouse you would be fine in a car. Anything along the North side of the island you need a 4x4 for sure!! Have seen 4x4's get stuck out there though, key thing is to drive smart!!

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.

We've traveled along the northeast coast a few times in a jeep Wrangler. That is the only vehicle I'd use if your going to travel beyond the lighthouse. We had a Ford Escape last week and i would not use that on those roads. The last thing you want to deal with on your vacation is damage to a rental vehicle. The cost of a jeep may be a little high, but safe is better than sorry.
    Have a great vacation.

We just did it in December in one of the small 4WD SUVs. Went the whole way down the coast. It was a little rougher than I remember, but there were only a couple of places where a higher vehicle would have made me feel a little better. We pretty much stuck to the "main" roads (trails). If you were going off of them, would definitely recommend the jeep option. What we did notice was that there was lots (and I mean lots) of trash washed up on shore all down that whole coast. I don't remember it being that way the last time we did it, but that was a few years ago.
    If you put some html here, you could create a countdown ticker, but we don't care, we're going in May 2018! Yay!

Thank you for the Welcome Andrea J and thanks to all for their helpful replies.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetlagged View Post
    We're staying at the Tamarijn in June and planning to hire a car for just three days to see some of the island. In particular we would like to go to the California Lighthouse and then continue along the northeast coastline. I have done it once before and from memory the road was pretty rough. Do I need a 4 x 4 for that or will something like a Kia Sportage do?
    We drove around the island in a Toyota Tercel on our third trip in 1998. There is a gravel road all the way from the little church to the caves at the south end of the island. The rest is paved. It is easy to navigate in a car if you dont try to speed. Unless that road has gotten a lot worse since then.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    We drove around the island in a Toyota Tercel on our third trip in 1998. There is a gravel road all the way from the little church to the caves at the south end of the island. The rest is paved. It is easy to navigate in a car if you dont try to speed. Unless that road has gotten a lot worse since then.
    Thanks for that Arubabob.

so the over all concenus is not to drive anywhere but 1A with a rental car? We should be fine from lighthouse to baby beach right?
    Thanks

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmenace View Post
    so the over all concenus is not to drive anywhere but 1A with a rental car? We should be fine from lighthouse to baby beach right?
    Thanks
    The roads are paved from the lighthouse to Baby Beach so zero problems as far as a car is concerned. The only graveled main roads are on the east side of the island. Some people may refer to some unpaved, ungraveled trails as roads. They are not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast