Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What type of car do I need?

Aruba since 1979
    Staying on main and paved roads is the best bet. But we have taken a a compact sedan thru the arikok on paved roads, to natural bridge and gold mine ruins, to donkey sanctuary and many roads in between and 1A is just a tiny portion or road that accommodates cars. I must have missed the posting that recommended only 1A for rental cars. That is totally not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmenace View Post
    so the over all concenus is not to drive anywhere but 1A with a rental car? We should be fine from lighthouse to baby beach right?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dmenace View Post
    so the over all concenus is not to drive anywhere but 1A with a rental car? We should be fine from lighthouse to baby beach right?
    Thanks
    I don't think so at all. You are fine to go many places on the island with a rental car.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We've pretty much traveled most of the island in a compact car. Although as others have mentioned, the East coast can be a little tricky, so one has to be cautious. A jeep for sure if you're headed to the Natural Pool and that drive is an adventure by itself.

We just booked for a week in November (staying in Bakval area) and I'm just starting to plan our time. I'm thinking we'll rent a car for 2-3 days (cutting it short if we see all we can see in 2 days) I would like to head south and hit some beaches/snorkel spots like Mangel Halto, Saventa Beach, Rodgers Beach and down to Baby Beach. Would like to see (maybe not snorkel at) Bachelor's Beach and Boca Grandi. From there I assume we might as well head up to Arikok. Or maybe reverse the route and start at Arikok before the heat of the day? Bushiribana and Hooiberg are also on the list. We were in Aruba earlier this year on a cruise, and don't feel the need to go any farther north than Arashi Beach.

With all that info ... is a compact car good enough, or do we need something bigger? I'm thinking from the posts here it should be ok, but would love confirmation.

Aruba since 1979
    Welcome to the aruba.com community forum. A compact car should be sufficient. Where are you staying?
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNJehn View Post
    We just booked for a week in November (staying in Bakval area) and I'm just starting to plan our time. I'm thinking we'll rent a car for 2-3 days (cutting it short if we see all we can see in 2 days) I would like to head south and hit some beaches/snorkel spots like Mangel Halto, Saventa Beach, Rodgers Beach and down to Baby Beach. Would like to see (maybe not snorkel at) Bachelor's Beach and Boca Grandi. From there I assume we might as well head up to Arikok. Or maybe reverse the route and start at Arikok before the heat of the day? Bushiribana and Hooiberg are also on the list. We were in Aruba earlier this year on a cruise, and don't feel the need to go any farther north than Arashi Beach.

With all that info ... is a compact car good enough, or do we need something bigger? I'm thinking from the posts here it should be ok, but would love confirmation.

Keep in mind there is a difference between Off roading and dirt road driving. Any car will do for dirt roads (e.g. going to the natural bridge area). You can cover 90% of the island sights in a car. There are a couple of places that require an off road vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Welcome to the aruba.com community forum. A compact car should be sufficient. Where are you staying?
    Thanks Andrea! We booked at La Boheme, which is down the street from the Boardwalk. It fit our needs and hopefully our stay is as good as those that have posted reviews.

Aruba since 1979
    so you will have access tothe public bus?
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNJehn View Post
    Thanks Andrea! We booked at La Boheme, which is down the street from the Boardwalk. It fit our needs and hopefully our stay is as good as those that have posted reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    so you will have access tothe public bus?
    We will! There are stops for the 10/10A/10B route not far from where we're staying. We normally spend our "land" vacations in Grand Cayman and use the bus extensively there.

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    I have found the key to driving the trails is not just a 4x4,we have had both large or small, but to make sure you have good tires on the vehicle you rent. I made that mistake just once!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast