Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why ???????????????????

Why ???????????????????

I just don't understand!!! Each visit to Aruba, I observe the worsening of driving habits. Yesterday I was driving down from the California Lighthouse and on the road passing the dunes, I came head to head with a delivery truck on its way to the restaurant at California Lighthouse. Had I not abruptly swerved off to the right, we would have been toast. I estimate his speed in excess of 50mph, which is way too fast for that stretch of road. I was also passed on the 80kmh stretch past the Tropicana by someone in a KIA with A plates, travelling at a phenomenal rate. I was at 80 and he streaked by me.

Why the hurry here??? Is it just the need for speed? This year is the most dangerous I have observed in 8 years. Please take care. Remember, don't trust the other guy.

Keep well

John

By far the biggest cause of road accidents is driver/rider error or reaction, which causes 68% of all crashes.

• Failed to look properly 35%
    • Failed to judge other persons's path or speed 18.9%
    • Careless, reckless or in a hurry 16.2%
    • Loss of control 14.7%
    • Poor turn or manoeuvre 14.1%
    • Travelling too fast for the conditions 10.2%
    • Slippery road due to weather 10.1%
    • Pedestrian failed to look properly 7.2%
    • Sudden braking 7.2%
    • Following too close 6.7%

In Aruba we tourists are mostly driving to go to restaurants, activities and restaurants.

The locals on the other side are in a hurry to: finish work sooner, make the groceries and get the kids in time, drive to the bank before it close, etc...
    Meaning they are in a hurry and are more careless and/or distracted...
    Add to that the people under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs...
    I may be wrong but I have the feeling that some locals see alcohol and driving as not that dangerous and criminal, that alone can lead to dramatic events.

In consequence I personally don't take for granted that people will make a stop at the stop sign, stop at a red light, etc....
    Slow speed and vigilance at all time is your ally on the island.
    Pierre

This is why we don't rent a car. We leave the driving to the pros (taxi drivers). It is worth every penny just to be able to sit back and let someone else do the worrying while i'm on vacation. Not to mention, we never know when we are going to want a few cocktails on vacation!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

John: I agree, the driving here has gotten very bad and dangerous. I have witnessed several times lately where a red light is merely a suggestion! Michael

Michael....... I think they have the red lights confused as Xmas decorations. Good to hear from you. Also....my mailbox is empty now

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    On our departure day last Saturday Bully pointed out 2 separate spots where accidents occurred the night before, one was a fatality. A motorcycle going way too fast most likely you could still see all the debris, pretty scary and not a nice thing to see leaving Aruba. I wish people would use their heads, life is too short to be driving crazy. You also have to be careful crossing the street in the downtown area as well not everyone obeys the crosswalks just like in the states!

lets not forget drunk driving

Well it had to happen This afternoon I was waiting at a supermarket parking area for my wife to exit with some small items. As I sat there the sound of skidding tires behind me and the inevitable thump and screeching of twisting metal. I had been looking in my rear mirror and watched as a small white pickup tried to race across in front of a small car that was going straight ahead. The small white truck was trying to beat the other car and get into the parking area. That obviously did not happen and will turn out to be an expensive afternoon.

Visitors......a word of advice. Drivers here will pull out of side streets without looking at oncoming traffic or will pull a turn right across in front of you. It is NOT like driving at home. It is almost like they don't care or understand speed and distance.

Have a a great vacation, but if driving. DONT trust the other guy

It doesn't matter where your driving, whether your on vacation or driving at home, you can't trust the other guy !! Anyone driven in NY recently ...yikes !!

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Have a a great vacation, but if driving. DONT trust the other guy

Great advice whether on vacation or not!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast