Aruba Beach

Thread: Will My Stuff Get Stolen???

Will My Stuff Get Stolen???

We will be in Aruba in 9 days (can't wait!). We are renting a Jeep for the week and will be traveling to some caves, baby beach, and some more remote areas. Generally I try and leave absolutely nothing in a vehicle when on vacation in a foreign place, but I may have no choice on this one.

For example, if we go snorkeling at baby beach we will bring a cooler with some waters/soda/sandwiches and a beach bag with some towels and sunscreen. The wallet and camara will be with us in the water in waterproof containers. How likely is it that the cooler and towels will get stolen? Its not really anything of value but I'm wondering how the thieves are in Aruba.

Do they just steal stuff and then check it out later or do they see if they want it and if they do then they steal it? Having a Jeep complicates things since we can't lock anything away. Do you guys have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Aruba since 1979
    this is a terrific question
    and i wish we could all answer it for you
    it's a crapshoot

when we snorkeled at different shore entry places in aruba we did the same as you, brought our valuables (waterproof case) in the water with us.
    we locked our towels and sandals and shorts, tees in the trunk and we were fine!

isn't there a lockable storage place in the back of the jeep where you could stash the towels?

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldXJ View Post
    We will be in Aruba in 9 days (can't wait!). We are renting a Jeep for the week and will be traveling to some caves, baby beach, and some more remote areas. Generally I try and leave absolutely nothing in a vehicle when on vacation in a foreign place, but I may have no choice on this one.

For example, if we go snorkeling at baby beach we will bring a cooler with some waters/soda/sandwiches and a beach bag with some towels and sunscreen. The wallet and camara will be with us in the water in waterproof containers. How likely is it that the cooler and towels will get stolen? Its not really anything of value but I'm wondering how the thieves are in Aruba.

Do they just steal stuff and then check it out later or do they see if they want it and if they do then they steal it? Having a Jeep complicates things since we can't lock anything away. Do you guys have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Thats a good question on the lockable storage....I'm not sure. I know the "cargo" area is open but I'm not sure if there is lockable storage built in. Anyone know the answer to that?

I've been very lucky. We've always been very casual with our stuff. Left on the beach at baby beach, or under a towel at Eagle beach. Thankfully nothing has ever walked away! Of course we do usually have 9 - 12 people coming & going from the spot.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

In the past at Boca Catalina we met two women who were hanging out. They were Dutch and renting a villa and were there with their beach chairs. We chatted with them for awhile and thought they were nice enough women so asked them if they were going to be there for awhile would them mind matching our towels. They said it was no problem and they and our towels were right where we left them when we came out of the water.

I've left some minor things in the back of my jeeps at baby beach without any problems. Though we don't spend more than a couple hours there at a time.

On the beach, I use VELCROŽ strips to secure zippered bags to the chair; Wally Mart, etc. sells rolls in various bright colors for a few $. It helps stop and grab-and-go folks and is relatively EZ to attach without knots.
    Also use it to roll towels and attach to other stuff to make the hump to da beach less of a chore.

Aruba since 1979
    what a great idea!
    thieves love to make QUICK grabs
    anything that will delay and slow down the process is a deterrent

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
    On the beach, I use VELCROŽ strips to secure zippered bags to the chair; Wally Mart, etc. sells rolls in various bright colors for a few $. It helps stop and grab-and-go folks and is relatively EZ to attach without knots.
    Also use it to roll towels and attach to other stuff to make the hump to da beach less of a chore.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Bike lock your stuff to the thatched umbrella things....