Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: your car/jeep rental/driving experiences ?

Aruba since 1979

your car/jeep rental/driving experiences ?

If you have rented a vehicle (car or jeep) in aruba, how did you feel about:

the street signs?
    the traffic?
    ease in vehicle renting transations?
    parking at your resort?
    ease in getting from point A to point B?
    car rental agencies?

any other comments ?

we have rented almost very time we have gone to aruba.
    over the years we have noticed the traffic increasing and the speeding and wreckless drivers on the increase.
    however, we have also noticed an increase in police presence on the roads and more drivers being stopped for offenses.

we have never had an issue with parking at any resort.

almost every trip we have rented from tropic. a couple of times we did rent thru optima/payless and avis.
    we find the transactions easy..especially wtih tropic-hans.

we find with the added roundabouts (rotaries) the traffic does flow better.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    We'll we've only rented from Tropic so you know that part of the experience is always great. I've also noticed a lot more cars getting pulled over. We do have parking at the townhouse with the exception of the neighbor next door who has tried to park in our spot when he had company. After asking him not to & him doing it again, I fixed the problem the "jersey girl" way. I just blocked him in the 3rd time by parking across the back of his car & making him late for work. He never did that again.

as far as traffic. With the exception of that small strip right downtown, to me there's no traffic, especially being use to NJ traffic. Aruba feels desolate, lol.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    We rented a car at our resort (Divi AI) years ago, the process was extremely slow due to the front desk clerks. However, the price was good. No problems parking at our resort, as well as downtown Renn Marketplace and Occidental parking lot. As far as the street signs, I don't remember too many (lol).....we got terribly lost trying to find the Natural Pool, then darkness was coming on quickly so we decided it best to just turn around. I would not rent a car any more due to the ease of taxi's and buses and feel safer letting someone who knows the roads better drive.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    We rented from More4less on both of our land trips there. The first time we broke the jeep on the second day and they didn't have a replacement so they gave us an almost new little car and adjusted the price in our favor that we would have never expected or even asked for.

Our last trip 10 days we had the Boss, the baddest jeep on the island. We dove over 340 miles, yes over 340 miles and that was setting the trip odometer on the second day, the majority were off road but we did a lot of city driving too.

We did notice a heavy police presence compared to last time but we didn't drive off 1A or 1B last trip. This trip, cruise ships were in port almost every day so we bypassed downtown and used 4A and 4B a lot. There are a couple of police stations on that road. Traffic was crowded but we think that others had the same idea as us to avoid the cruise ships.

We had no problem parking at our resort or anywhere else for that matter.

Traffic signs are different and confusing, somehow we ended up driving on the trolley tracks on Sunday. We turned out by the Burger King and bam we were on the tracks, good thing it was Sunday and there were no trolleys and very few people.

Basically we had no problem getting around from point A to B or in our case point Z. Our jeep was hard to drive on road and if someone was on our tail we just jumped off the road until they passed, we took our time driving, we were in no hurry's and we let people cut out in front of us as they did for us (wouldn't happen at home).

Also let me add that our flight was delayed 1.5 hours and they were at the airport waiting for us at 8:30pm.

Here's the Boss:
    your car/jeep rental/driving experiences ?-boss-kellie-driving.jpg

We have rented a vehicle on all of our trips for the duration of our stay. Our past five trips have been with Wheels2go. Ricky and Anky are prompt and courteous. We spend about 10 minutes during pickup and five minutes during drop off. It couldn't get much easier.
    We have also noticed an increase in traffic congestion and Police presence. We watch the cruise schedules and avoid downtown when the ships are in town. Getting from point A to B can take sometime if you follow the main routes, so we usually head a little inland, which works for the most part, unless you're in prime commute time. We've pretty much learned the road signs, although we have gotten turned around a few times on the one way streets. We rent a condo and parking has never been an issue.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I have always rented a car as well and could not imagine a trip without one as I like being active and independent. Renting a car from Royal was always a good experience. I'm familiar with roundabouts and traffic signs. Driving and parking was never a problem. As it's been a while since I have been to Aruba, I can not comment on the increased traffic or the changes made in the meantime, like the big roundabout near the airport or the street leading around downtown to avoid all the traffic there. I only saw recently a video by Dan/Nic44 and thought to myself: that's not familiar anymore.

But I definitely would rent a vehicle again when I return to Aruba.

We've rented a car/van/jeep every trip.
    The street signs were easy to figure out, but that first trip (or maybe even 2) we kept a map in the car that had the street signs and descriptions in English
    Traffic is typically very light IMO - of course that is compared to Jersey traffic.
    We have rented from Royal every trip except for the first one and have always been happy with the ease of picking up the car or their delivery of the vehicle.
    Parking is never an issue at our resort.
    I love having a vehicle for the ease of getting from A to B whenever I want. I have some issues with being stuck places lol I need the freedom of having a car!
    Again, We've rented from Royal for years and have never had a problem with them or their vehicles.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    agree with you jacki

i need to know that there is a vehicle there and i can use it when i want.
    i want that freedom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    We've rented a car/van/jeep every trip.
    The street signs were easy to figure out, but that first trip (or maybe even 2) we kept a map in the car that had the street signs and descriptions in English
    Traffic is typically very light IMO - of course that is compared to Jersey traffic.
    We have rented from Royal every trip except for the first one and have always been happy with the ease of picking up the car or their delivery of the vehicle.
    Parking is never an issue at our resort.
    I love having a vehicle for the ease of getting from A to B whenever I want. I have some issues with being stuck places lol I need the freedom of having a car!
    Again, We've rented from Royal for years and have never had a problem with them or their vehicles.

Yep, we like the freedom a vehicle affords us too. I like to be able to run to the store for supplies when I need them, or go to dinner on my schedule. We've driven all over the island to most of the typical landmarks with few issues and all we use is a map. We've rented from Royal, More4Less and Tropic and always have had a great experience.

Oh my, oh my, I am almost laughing outloud thinking about some of the driving experiences we have had inour twenty something years in Aruba. In one of the early years, werented an open jeep that had pull down seats in the back. We loadedin the family and headed to the Natural Bridge. That “little”hill behind the bridge seemed like an easy climb. I could see JohnWayne leading a charge against the Indians coming down the hill. Idecided that we needed to see what was on the other side of thathill. After a steep, bumpy climb I decided to detour tothe left. I was sure that I could make it to the nice white beechthat I had seen from the Natural Bridge. Not all of the family likedmy decision. I was going very slowly as family members were bailingout of the jeep. Somehow we did make it off the hill and down theother side. Some of the family were riding, some were walking, but wenever got stuck, or tipped over. We eventually made it to a spotnear the prison and then were home free. Kind of ironic? I guessnot.
    Did you every get lost in Aruba?
    I know the road signs are better now,but this driver can get lost using a GPS. Honestly, I have a majordisability when it comes to following directions. In Aruba I havelearned to try to allow an extra hour to find someplace new! If weget someplace early, great. I become a Hero, but most of the time Iam more of a Zero. We can travel 20 miles to find a place that is 2miles from our residence. After a while the fun of driving around incircles with walls of cactus on each side of the vehicle looses itappeal. I am so glad that the Divi tree always points towards theresort side of the island. Hey, we never give up. We might notfind that special place that we wanted to see on day 3, but we keeptrying until we do.

My wife likes seeing the 'wild'donkeys. On our last trip we did go looking for them. We foundseveral near the light house in the Saint Nicolas area. I would notsuggest opening your car door to say hi. Maybe just roll down yourwindow. Well, my risk taker wife opened the door and said in her cuteanimal enticing voice something in Donkey. I don't know what shesaid, but I think the donkey thought she said, “ Come on in. Wehave enough room.” All of a sudden a donkey's face is starring atme. Remember, I am in the driver's seat and the donkey is trying toclimb over my wife who is in the passenger seat. This was a photomoment, but a donkey's head on your shoulder doesn't allow you muchroom to find the camera. Probably the donkeys in Aruba speak English,but this donkey didn't seem to understand a frantic garbled cry from me yelling “Okay, donkey, it is time to leave! Get the h___ our my rentalcar!!!!” After some pushing. unwanted licks and more snorting, wefinally removed the beast. Actually I think he became bored with thedumb tourists. Next time we bring carrots. ( Have you seen some ofthose huge carrots they sell in Aruba?)
    Having a vehicle has helped with thefollowing:
    Quick trip to the Balashi Brewery for abeer and a snack.
    Sunrises
    Festivals
    Visiting Arubans at their homes.
    Watching fireworks from the lighthouse.
    Freedom to stop at different shops
    Driving up past the lighthouse to seethe Pelicans
    The freedom of a car is priceless.

On our October trip, my wife, who haslimited mobility, wanted once again to put her feet in the ocean in Aruba. She decided that BabyBeach would be the easiest place to navigate
    With a walker, she was able to meet hergoal. Just two feet in the water, but what an accomplishment.
    Having the car made her dream possible.

Oh my, oh my, I am almost laughing outloud thinking about some of the driving experiences we have had inour twenty something years in Aruba. In one of the early years, werented an open jeep that had pull down seats in the back. We loadedin the family and headed to the Natural Bridge. That “little”hill behind the bridge seemed like an easy climb. I could see JohnWayne leading a charge against the Indians coming down the hill. Idecided that we needed to see what was on the other side of thathill. After a steep, bumpy climb I decided to take detour tothe left. I was sure that I could make it to the nice white beechthat I had seen from the Natural Bridge. Not all of the family likedmy decision. I was going very slowly as family members were bailingout of the jeep. Somehow we did make it off the hill and down theother die. Some of the family were riding, some were walking, but wenever got stuck, or tipped over. We eventually made it to a spotnear the prison and then were home free. Kind of ironic? I guessnot.
    Did you every get lost in Aruba?
    I know the road signs are better now,but this driver can get lost using a GPS. Honestly, I have a majordisability when it comes to following directions. In Aruba I havelearned to try to allow an extra hour to find someplace new! If weget someplace early, great. I become a Hero, but most of the time Iam more of a Zero. We can travel 20 miles to find a place that is 2miles from our residence. After a while the fun of driving around incircles with walls of cactus on each side of the vehicle looses itappeal. I am so glad that the Divi tree always points towards theresort side of the island. Hey, we never give up. We might notfind that special place that we wanted to see on day 3, but we keeptrying until we do.

My wife likes seeing the 'wild'donkeys. On our last trip we did go looking for them. We foundseveral near the light house in the Saint Nicolas area. I would notsuggest opening your car door to say hi. Maybe just roll down yourwindow. Well, my risk taker wife opened the door and said in her cuteanimal enticing voice something in Donkey. I don't know what shesaid, but I think the donkey thought she said, “ Come on in. Wehave enough room.” All of a sudden a donkey's face is starring atme. Remember, I am in the driver's seat and the donkey is trying toclimb over my wife who is in the passenger seat. This was a photomoment, but a donkey's head on your shoulder doesn't allow you muchroom to find the camera. Probably the donkeys in Aruba speak English,but this guy didn't understand a frantic garbled cry from me yelling “Okay, donkey, it is time to leave! Get the h___ our my rentalcar!!!!” After some pushing. unwanted licks and more snorting, wefinally removed the beast. Actually I think he became bored with thedumb tourists. Next time we bring carrots. ( Have you seen some ofthose huge carrots they sell in Aruba?)
    Having a vehicle has helped with thefollowing:
    Quick trip to the Balashi Brewery for abeer and a snack.
    Sunrises
    Festivals
    Visiting Arubans at their homes.
    Watching fireworks from the lighthouse.
    Freedom to stop at different shops
    Driving up past the lighthouse to seethe Pelicans
    The freedom of a car is priceless.

On our October trip, my wife, who haslimited mobility, wanted once again put her feet in the water at BabyBeach.
    With a walker, she was able to meet hergoal. Just two feet in the water, but what an accomplishment.
    Having the car made her dream possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast