Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chillin in Aruba in September 2010

Just booked for Sept. 25 - Oct. 5 at Amsterdam Manor - trip #22.

I'll be at the bulletin board parties on Mondays (9/27 and 10/4) at Amsterdam Manor's beach bar at 5pm. Hope to see some (or all!) of you there!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba in September questions

I was talking to an acquaintance who adamantly told me that September was the "worst" time of year to go to Aruba. She declares that it's hot, no cooling winds and lots of bugs. She is one of those abrasive know-it-all personalities so I took it with a grain of salt. However, when I went online later, i came across quite a few articles and reviews stating the same - avoid Aruba in September at all costs. Now I'm worried as we have the last two weeks of September booked. Can any of you with lots of September Aruba experience, or those of you who live there, weigh in on this? How bad is it in September? Should I have booked earlier or later?
    Also, do I need insect repellant and can anyone recommend one that actually works (I've tried some that don't work all the time or at all) and that I can get in Canada or on my next trip to Buffalo, NY? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    I was talking to an acquaintance who adamantly told me that September was the "worst" time of year to go to Aruba. She declares that it's hot, no cooling winds and lots of bugs. She is one of those abrasive know-it-all personalities so I took it with a grain of salt. However, when I went online later, i came across quite a few articles and reviews stating the same - avoid Aruba in September at all costs. Now I'm worried as we have the last two weeks of September booked. Can any of you with lots of September Aruba experience, or those of you who live there, weigh in on this? How bad is it in September? Should I have booked earlier or later?
    Also, do I need insect repellant and can anyone recommend one that actually works (I've tried some that don't work all the time or at all) and that I can get in Canada or on my next trip to Buffalo, NY? Thanks.
    I am very sensitive and aware of insects and especially flying things but we never had a problem or noticed them during that time period. We have gone the last week in August/first week in September for the past 5-6 years. The only time I noticed any insects were by sticky, sweet pool bars and they were house flies. I noticed more lizards than insects. Yeah, it's really hot during that month and hardly any breeze but it's not too much to handle. We went in December of last year and the weather was virtually the same temperature but there was an amazing breeze that cooled everything down. I would suggest to try out December for a future trip back. It was the most comfortable and pleasant experience we've had there. The only reason we are going back in September this year is because my wife will be 7-8 months pregnant in December.

Aruba since 1979
    Any bug repellent w/ DEET. also too i have luck with BOUNCE fabric softener sheets rubbed on my exposed skin.

don't sweat the sept and october weather.
    it is all about the "hurricanes and tropical storms".
    folks say aruba is outside of the hurricane belt. meaning there hasn't been a direct hit in eons!
    that being said, when there is a hurricane somewhere in the caribbean north or northeast or northwest of aruba, there is a chance that the weather system will interfere with the trade winds.

you will hear some folks talk of the the "trade winds being sucked away".

don't look back. no regrets.
    many of us including ~amy~ and I vacation in september religiously (me, this year august) but september has NEVER disappointed us.

in fact, september 2004 we were there for the brush by of hurricane IVAN and then it's backlash.
    caused lots of rain and it was not a direct hit it was not even really very close....4-500 miles away.

avoid those negative folks like the plague.
    remember NOTHING you do will be "right" by her.
    people like her "get their jollys" by making themself seem superior by minimizing and criticizing your decision. today aruba, tomorrow she will be criticizing something else.
    smile, let your eyes glaze over and let it go in one ear and out the other.

september is FINE.

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    don't look back. no regrets.
    many of us including ~amy~ and I vacation in september religiously (me, this year august) but september has NEVER disappointed us.

Ditto to what Andrea said! We've been vacationing in Aruba in Sept. since '96 and usually stay anywhere from 10-17 days at a time. Depending on any storms out at sea, you may have a few HOT days where the tradewinds might dwindle down to nothing. But the water is great for swimming/floating and the beer is cold for drinking!

We enjoy Sept. because it is one of the quietest months on the island and the water temp is warmer than in the spring (we usually go in late April as well.)

In all of our 21 trips to Aruba, we've only needed bug spray a couple of times and that was when there was an unsual amount of rain on the island which left standing water. We always pack OFF now but I can't even tell you the last time we had to use it....but, better safe than sorry so I always pack it.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

The one year we vacationed in Aruba I will give you the low point and the high point...

LOW POINT- one day was so hot and overcast we spent the entire day on our floats in the water. I know it is a hard tough vacation roughing it like that. AND I got sunburn.

HIGH POINT- no crowds AT ALL

If no storms (meteorology above) Aruba is not intolerable.

No cooling winds?

September weather
    Average high temperature 90 F.
    Average low temperature 80 F.
    Average temperature 84 F.
    Average water temperature 83 F.
    Average windspeed 15 mph
    Average maximum wind speed 31 mph
    Average rainfall 1.40 inches (20.3 inches annual)

FWIW, the weather averages in September are within one degree of August.

My husband and I will be there for our 7th year from 9-8 to 9-18 staying at the Tam.

counting the days...sept.25 -oct.9... 2 WEEKS...at casa del mar...going to try to get to the bulletin board happy hour.(.depending if I'm still sober at that hour!!)

Oh, this is the first time I've seen my picture by my post. Sorry to be off topic but it threw me off and I wasn't expecting it. I'm not sure why it suddenly showed up but it didn't before. Is it because my status has changed from "junior member" to "member"?

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I can't wait! The bulletin board party sounds fun, it'll be neat to put a face to a name.

We'll be at the Divi from 5-12, woo

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast