Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By charles

Thread: Leaving home

Leaving home

Every once in a while, I sneak in a NON-ARUBA piece in here. Actually everything I write is somehow connected to this rock but .... that's another story. Now is the time I just hang on and hope the piece will not get kicked off. If it does, I surely understand. If is doesn't, I'll know you understood.

I met someone that has been reading me for some time and was greatly honored to know that. Within the body of that conversation we talked about various things and one of them reminded me of the following piece.

This "Hockeymom" as promised, is for you.

LEAVING HOME

Charles Croes
    February 2009

With pants ironed to a glossy shine.
    The shirt starched stiff with sleeves in line.
    His belt pulled tight to the worn out hole.
    The shoeshine covers a worn out sole.
    With a face aglow from a wash cloth scrubbing.
    His teeth shine bright from the toothbrush rubbing.
    Both his hands smell clean from using French soap.
    Can’t tell he spent the summer pulling barnyard rope.
    With a hounds tooth suitcase battered at his feet.
    His worldly possessions are all packed neat.
    The cap in his hands says ‘Detroit Wheels’
    The smile on his face hides how he really feels.

The train comes and he starts to board without looking back to see the poverty and love he leaves behind.
    Daddy said “Tis a better world out there son, clean up, pack your things and go make your mark on America”.
    “But what about you dad?”
    “Doesn’t matter much, not after Mama passed – God I miss that woman. She was a fine gal son – your Moma – she was surely fine.”
    “Where I am going to Papa? Where will this ticket take me?”
    “Boy – that ticket in you paw will take you to the end of seven dollars – that’s where it’ll go. ‘Twas all I had for fare but it should be far enough to pull you out of this misery. Seven dollars – all I got to give my son – seven dollars – I love ya boy – I love ya.”
    “Can I turn about to see your face one more time Papa? I’d like that real well.”
    “Look ahead boy. Look ahead and don’t turn about. I’ll see you in the eve when my eyes shut. Moma will stand by you in my mind.”
    “Gosh I’d like to see ya just once more.”
    “Boy – close your eyes and turn about. I’ll hold ya tight and put your face to my neck. Smell it and be on your way.”
    “You smell just fine Papa – Just fine.”
    “Turn about and go my boy. Turn about and go.”

He shuffles off the platform to the rail machine that snarls at this train stop. He has left his only blood ever so gently without spilling a drop. They will never see each other again.

With pants ironed to a glossy shine.
    The shirts starched stiff with sleeves in line.
    His belt pulled tight to the worn out hole.
    The shoeshine covers a worn out sole.
    With a face aglow from a wash cloth scrubbing.
    His teeth shine bright from the toothbrush rubbing.
    Both his hands smell clean from using French soap.
    Can’t tell he spent the summer pulling barnyard rope.
    With a hounds tooth suitcase battered at his feet.
    His worldly possessions are all packed neat.
    The cap in his hands says ‘Detroit Wheels’
    The smile on his face hides how he really feels.
    He boards the monster and quickly turns.
    His face inhales coal smoke as it boils and it burns.
    Pap is gone and Mama ain’t there.
    Tis’ more that this poor boy can hardly bear.

He’s leaving home.
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

To you - Thank you for your mail on this piece. Your insight is important to me. To answer your questions: No, it isn't a story about me or anything that I passed through. I was inspired to write it while on vacation in America and as we drove through as small town while on the way to the Grand Canyon. I noticed that they had two very nicely kept buildings, - the post office which was also a GREYHOUND bus terminal and a train station. My son asked me what a boy was doing and we looked over and to see a young boy and a gentleman standing in what was obviously an emotional moment for them. We drove on to a Burger King and I wrote this piece on the back of a children s menu. While I appreciate your comment, it didn't take any talent at all, I just wrote what I saw. Once again, thank you for reading me.
    be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Hi Charles - It was nice to see that piece again. I remember our conversation well. Your insight and the posting of this piece was very helpful to me. The young man that we spoke about that day is doing remarkably well and I am very proud of him. I continue to read your posts and enjoy every one. Your insight on Aruba, and the world in general, is always thought provoking.

As you can see, we will be back in March of 2011. I will be in touch before then to set up my cell phone! Looking forward to coming back to our oasis in the sun. Take care!