Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What To Do When Lost On Aruba?

What To Do When Lost On Aruba?

While Aruba is relatively small, people get lost here all the time, including locals by the way. I used to carry little maps and all sort of stuff to get me back on track and then it dawned on me that it is really pretty simple to get back on track.

If you are on the populated (Southern) coastline and can't figure out which way is the hotel zone just point the car to the ocean and drive to the right. That will get you back. If you are on the north coast and cant figure it out then just drive until you hit a road that goes to the inland and take it. Once inland then look for our only large mountain - Hooi-Berg' - drive towards it and look for main roads. They HAVE TO BE THERE since the cross both sides of the Hooi-Berg. This area of the island is higher and you will be able to see the hotels from here. Just point yourself in their direction and go go go .

However, I recommend staying lost. It is a delightful experience.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Aruba since 1979
    great advice.

charles, the last paragraph was the best part of your advice. our 'let's get lost' days are the best of all days for us on aruba. peaceful, beautiful, and the people we meet plus the scenery we see remind us of the beauty and wonder of aruba before tourists. it truly must have been magical.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
    charles, the last paragraph was the best part of your advice. our 'let's get lost' days are the best of all days for us on aruba. peaceful, beautiful, and the people we meet plus the scenery we see remind us of the beauty and wonder of aruba before tourists. it truly must have been magical.
    Have to agree with you! If we end up back in familiar territory, we head back into the "bush"!!!! lol

A couple of years ago, I took a group of friends on a tour of Aruba. Even though I was born in Aruba, I get lost occaisonally, but usually can find my way back to the timeshare by just heading west or the wind blows. Coming upon the round about to take us to the "fallen natural bridge," it was closed for road repairs so we had to detour. Came upon some men rennovating a house and I stopped and asked for directions. As I tried to repeat the directions, he could see that I was confused. He proceeded to climb down off his ladder, get in his car and took me to the road that lead to the fallen natural bridge. This is so typical of the people of Aruba. Need I say more? And if this happens to me again, which I sure it will because I get adventureous at times, I know I will come upon the same type gentlemen, or lady, that will direct me to wherever I am going. That's the Aruba people for you.

Does anyone on this Board, other than Charles, remember what occurred on February 16, 1942?

Aruba since 1979
    would that have been the ANTILLA?

No, the Antilla was scuttled on May 10, 1940. On February 16, 1942, the German U-boats attacked Aruba at 1:30 in the morning, so this will be the 69th anniversary. A dreadful night but a lucky one for Aruba. One of the German submarines was given orders to strike the refinery, but failed because the stopper was not removed from the barrel of the gun, and it exploded and ended up killing two of the Germen seamen manning the gun. This mishap alerted the refinery so all lights were extinguished immediately. The stopper was used to prevent sea water from getting into the gun. The U-boats did sink several tankers, one being the Lake Tanker Oranjestad, which sank in 225 feet of water about 500 yards off the reef in front of CocoBeach on the southern end of the island. It was just last year that one of the propellers from the Oranjestad was brought up by a number of divers and will be mounted and placed somwhere in The Colony if I can remember correctly.

Sorry everyone, I sort of got off the subject of getting lost in Aruba. Looking forward to my next adventure of getting lost in Aruba while I am there for three weeks in June.

You are cool

Dolores,
    You are cool.

The only thing that keeps history alive is repetition of the history itself.
    be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaDolores View Post
    No, the Antilla was scuttled on May 10, 1940. On February 16, 1942, the German U-boats attacked Aruba at 1:30 in the morning, so this will be the 69th anniversary. A dreadful night but a lucky one for Aruba. One of the German submarines was given orders to strike the refinery, but failed because the stopper was not removed from the barrel of the gun, and it exploded and ended up killing two of the Germen seamen manning the gun. This mishap alerted the refinery so all lights were extinguished immediately. The stopper was used to prevent sea water from getting into the gun. The U-boats did sink several tankers, one being the Lake Tanker Oranjestad, which sank in 225 feet of water about 500 yards off the reef in front of CocoBeach on the southern end of the island. It was just last year that one of the propellers from the Oranjestad was brought up by a number of divers and will be mounted and placed somwhere in The Colony if I can remember correctly.

Sorry everyone, I sort of got off the subject of getting lost in Aruba. Looking forward to my next adventure of getting lost in Aruba while I am there for three weeks in June.
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

I have always believed the only way to get to know a place to get off the beaten path. We've done that in the past when we've rented a car, and sometimes, although my husband might not admit to it, we were not off the beaten path on purpose. Had I been alone, I would have stayed hopelessly lost, and possibly stranded on Aruba (darn my h and his amazing sense of direction). Seriously, I love these tips on how to find one's way back when off exploring. I'm going to save the post to my computer for future reference when we're back to Aruba, and off exploring. Thanks, Charles.

And thank you ArubaDolores for that WWII from Aruba's past. That's really great that divers were able to retrieve one of the propellers from the Lake Tanker Oranjestad. That's a great tangible reminder to the very scary event.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

We always do a little exploring when we visit Aruba. We've found some nice spots as a result.
    With my absent sense of direction, getting lost is always part of the adventure. Fortunately, my wife is more geographically grounded than I so we always find our way back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast