Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Aruba Early 1960's

The Old Windmill, the long-gone Spritzer and Furhrmann store, certain stones along the beach, anything to do with the old Aruba Caribbean Hotel. What a child remembers. Taps for the natural bridge.

Aruba Early 1960's

I'm starting another thread to allow me to share some of my parents' (Henry and Louise Steeber) Aruba photography. As they were the ambassador couple on the island within the tourism circle (even having the honor to host Queen Juliana, Princess Beatrix, and much of the royal family) at the Aruba Caribbean, they were natural tourists of the island themselves, from 1960-66. My father was professionally trained as a photographer, in Vienna. He did more photographic work, briefly, in New York, before embracing the hotel trade.

Aruba Early 1960's-natural-bridge-1961.jpg

I wanted, at the outset, to share a scan of a nice print I have of the natural bridge (collapsed since the mid-aughts I've heard). This image is probably from about 1961.

Aruba since 1979
    the natural bridge collapsed in aug 2004

thanks so much for your contributing photos

Aruba since 1979
    that article was in 2006
    i could have sworn that the bridge collapsed in 2004.
    during that late summer there were some odd/tragic things that happened in aruba........tessa the tiger died,
    the jolly pirate burned when it was moored over near ren island, a near miss of hurricane isaac, lalinda department store burned and i thought that the natural bridge collapsing was in that same timeframe.
    apparently i was wrong
    thank you lisa

The Old Windmill, the long-gone Spritzer and Furhrmann store, certain stones along the beach, anything to do with the old Aruba Caribbean Hotel. What a child remembers. Taps for the natural bridge.
    I know Aruba was taking some knocks, after so many quiet years. The collapse appears to have been in early 2005, quite early in the morning.
    Our favorite store was Spritzer + Fuhrmann, but I know my mother had a few other stores she frequented. She's seen here negotiating life in an Aruba supermarket, right around 1960.

Aruba Early 1960's-louise-steeber-aruba-supermarket-1960.jpg

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Natural Bridge

(collapsed on September 2, 2005)

This was one of Aruba's most popular attractions. The bridge was a formation of coral limestone cut out by years of pounding surf, and was one of the largest of these types of spans in the world. It standed some 23 feet (7 meters) above sea level and spans more than 100 feet (30 meters).
    There is no admission fee or set hours for visiting, but you'll find a few refreshment stands nearby open daily.
    Natural Bridge is till a very popular spot, and there is a smaller bridge (Baby Bridge) nearby.
    Pictures Bridge Collapsed

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/discover/attractions-and-sights/Natural-Bridge.html

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruban1962 View Post
    I know Aruba was taking some knocks, after so many quiet years. The collapse appears to have been in early 2005, quite early in the morning.
    Our favorite store was Spritzer + Fuhrmann, but I know my mother had a few other stores she frequented. She's seen here negotiating life in an Aruba supermarket, right around 1960.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Louise Steeber at Aruba supermarket 1960.jpg 
Views:	3201 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	2553
    The Natural Bridge collapsed in the early hours of 2 September 2005. I remember it very well as I had followed the high-profile case of the disappearance of Natalee Holloway. Through that case I heard about Aruba and fell in love with the island. In September of 2006, I traveled for the 1. time to Aruba. In total, so far, I have been there four times.

Thanks for sharing another of your family treasures, Aruban1962. Wonderful pictures of your Mom. It seems so relaxing and quiet in that store. LOVE the vintage pictures/advertisements on the wall of that store!

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Wonderful pictures of your Mom. It seems so relaxing and quiet in that store. LOVE the vintage pictures/advertisements on the wall of that store!
    And I assume that the NCR cash register was registering Gilders? Glad you're enjoying the show. I was quietly shocked when I'd heard about the bridge!

Aruba since 1979
    When did spritzer and fuhrmann leave aruba?

CK1
    And I assume that the NCR cash register was registering Gilders? Glad you're enjoying the show. I was quietly shocked when I'd heard about the bridge!
    You are correct, back then Aruba's currency was Gilders. Then, in 1986, the Forin was introduced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aruban_florin

On my very first visit to Aruba in September 2006, I got very lucky to make a friend on Aruba who showed me so many beautiful places and gave me a glimpse into the "real" Aruba. There was a big event going on where historical buildings were open for the public and festivities were held at the Numismatic Museum. It was then when I got to meet the artist, Mr. Evelino Fingal, who was the designer of the Aruban Florin!

Now, whenever I hold some Florins in my hand, I remember this very special day. I was as well amazed about the fantastic treasures inside the Numismatic Museum, it's one of the world's biggest collection of coins and notes around the globe, going back centuries. Some even thousand of years. On one of my following visits to Aruba, I returned to the Numismatic Museum to spend a few hours there. The owner was very kind, he showed my around, explained my many of gems of this huge collections and let me take many photos. The museum is presently closed. I hope it will be opened again.

A little more on the "Aruban Florin", more info and pictures at link:

The Aruban Florin
    When Aruba obtained its Status Aparte within the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1986, the florin, which was pegged to the U.S. dollar, became the official currency of the island. Pursuant to the Central Bank Ordinance, the Centrale Bank van Aruba was entrusted with the responsibility for the issuance of the florin bank notes. During the period 1986 to 1989, transitorial bank notes were issued by the Bank. In 1990 and 1993, new sets of florin bank notes were issued, which were designed by Mr. Evelino Fingal and printed at "Joh. Enschedé en Zonen" in the Netherlands. Furthermore, the Bank issues coins on behalf of the government. The coins are also designed by Mr. Fingal and minted by the "Nederlandse Munt N.V.". The copyright on Aruban banknotes is owned by the Centrale Bank van Aruba.

New safety features have been added to the new 2003 series of banknotes. A brochure explaining the features is available.

http://www.cbaruba.org/cba/getPage.d...INS_BANK_NOTES

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast