Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Radisson History/Old photos

Your collection of photos is incredible. How wonderful it must have been to be there in such simple times. The Bottle Price List - Room Service page has the statement "10% service charge added in lieu of gratuities" printed at the bottom. I wonder when the "in lieu of gratuities" part was dropped from restaurant checks around the island. I think it would help a lot of folks, especially first timers, understand the "service charge added" blurb at the bottom of checks now if places still included it. There I go off topic again, sorry Andrea.

The Old Windmill, the long-gone Spritzer and Furhrmann store, certain stones along the beach, anything to do with the old Aruba Caribbean Hotel. What a child remembers. Taps for the natural bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hahahah the prices!!!! wow

and i LOVE the artwork of the cover of the menu

i know i keep saying thank you for sharing, i really mean it.
    your collection is terrific
    It's great to know there's a purpose for sharing it. My parents did the collecting, and now I'm keeping it all alive. That period in Aruba was such a glamorous time. Thanks, very!

The Old Windmill, the long-gone Spritzer and Furhrmann store, certain stones along the beach, anything to do with the old Aruba Caribbean Hotel. What a child remembers. Taps for the natural bridge.
    WaltVB: Service itself was so much less costly then. These days, room service is charged at a 200% markup or so, and %15~20 is automatically added, as in so many parts of the world. I can recall room service at the ACH - elegant, simple, understated - and always that little smell of the Sterno can. We ate a lot of meals that way, as the suite we lived in had only a kitchenette. It made for a pleasant memory, in any case. Glad you're liking the posts!

Radisson History/Old photos-te-bali-bar-suggests-ca-1963.jpg
    Aruba Caribbean Hotel, circa 1963

These pictures are awesome,, I wish I could have seen Aruba than, although with so much build up since than,, I think I would cry,, nice, but kind of takes something away,, I mean even now, leave , no more building

Quote Originally Posted by KATH2ME View Post
    These pictures are awesome,, I wish I could have seen Aruba than, although with so much build up since than,, I think I would cry,, nice, but kind of takes something away,, I mean even now, leave , no more building
    It looks to me like Aruba's been relatively conservative about building. Miami Beach and San Juan (never mind Honolulu) are far, far worse. Aruba still looks like Aruba. When we were there it may have been a little too focused on one large hotel. The Aruba Caribbean Hotel, then, was pretty important to the island. It's a real landmark.

Radisson History/Old photos-dad-mom-aunt-jo-aruba-1960.jpg My father Henry Steeber (Aruba Caribbean Hotel manager), his wife Louise, and my Aunt Joan (to her right) visiting from the States, during the hotel's early days. My parents frequently acted as island ambassadors given their status at the hotel.

Aruba since 1979
    ahh the good old days when hotels could have diving boards at their pools and sunglasses/shades we very "in"

when your family came back to the usa, did your dad still work in the hotel/tourism industry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruban1962 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad Mom Aunt Jo - Aruba 1960.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	2598 My father Henry Steeber (Aruba Caribbean Hotel manager), his wife Louise, and my Aunt Joan (to her right) visiting from the States, during the hotel's early days. My parents frequently acted as island ambassadors given their status at the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ahh the good old days when hotels could have diving boards at their pools and sunglasses/shades we very "in"

when your family came back to the usa, did your dad still work in the hotel/tourism industry?
    Funny - I learned to swim, partly by being made to jump off of that high diving board. Didn't know boards were banned from hotels now. Yes - we stayed in the industry, actually going to Puerto Rico in '67 (which was entirely different from Aruba). Eventually, the States. I loved my shades.
    Last edited by Aruban1962; 06-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    yup you had the fancy shades w/the transistor radio you and i are about the same age and i "envied" some of my friends that had those cool shades when i was an 8 year old. . i think i had "barbie shade" and you had james bond

to the best of my knowledge, there are no diving boards at any resorts on aruba.
    there may be a 3 meter board at the competition pool on aruba....the pool where the teams, age group, masters, synchronized all swim and compete.
    in fact, one would have to search high and low to find a pool at any of the resorts that are deeper than 6' 6".
    the keyword is "LIABILITY"

same goes for here in the usa about diving boards being removed.

i miss the good old days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruban1962 View Post
    Funny - I learned to swim, partly by being made to jump off of that high diving board. Didn't know boards were banned from hotels now. Yes - we stayed in the industry, actually going to Puerto Rico in '67 (which was entirely different from Aruba). Eventually, the States. I loved my shades.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast