Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Condo Owners Who Rent To Tourists

Just wanted to add a thank you - this thread continues to be extremely interesting
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Im glad I found this thread, as this subject also interests me. Can anyone share some numbers, in terms of rental income X property value, for reference? Say a $200k condo, how much one could expect to get in rental income per week (considering a 50% vacancy), etc.

How much are property taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    We approached it like this; if it rented it reduced our expenses, if we didn't it was an investetment in a place we call home.
    That's the prudent approach to real estate: worst case scenario... Can you carry it if it never rents? Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveira View Post
    Im glad I found this thread, as this subject also interests me. Can anyone share some numbers, in terms of rental income X property value, for reference? Say a $200k condo, how much one could expect to get in rental income per week (considering a 50% vacancy), etc.

How much are property taxes?
    It differs depending on what the unit offers, pool, beachfront, concierge, etc. Your best bet is to go on a website like vrbo.com or airbnb.com and search for a similar property to see what they are getting as a nightly rate. The condo I was looking at was a 1 bedroom with pool and gated community. Looked like I could get more then $100 per night. Vacancy is hard to determine, but again the websites I've listed show "availability" which I found helpful in getting a feel for how often the units were getting rented out. Property taxes are very cheap comparative to here in the states. I don't have an exact number, I want to say the realtor told me something like $1200 a year!

We purchased a condo recently in Aruba-at Oceania. We never thought we could afford to purchase one there because of the price point; and it was not on our list of places to view; however that changed once we started going on viewing of homes and condos. At least 2/3 of the properties we saw were Venezuelan owned and were eager to sell due to the economic climate in their country. There are a lot of good deals now in Aruba. We ended up purchasing a unit at the very top of our price range and got more than we ever thought for the price we paid. We did not use a lawyer and relied on the realtor. We use Johnson's for closing and everything went smoothly. We will be renting the condo when we are not there, but since we plan on being there for Jan.-March, we don't expect to make tons of money on the condo-whatever we get we will be happy with it to offset our expenses. We did have all the condo documents to review prior to our purchase. The closing paperwork was in Dutch, but Johnson's sent the translation with it. The deed is in Dutch, and they did orally translate it at settlement. We don't have the actual copy yet because we left the island before it was ready. Oceania has a reserve fund that we pay into, but they can also have special assessments.

We own a condo at the shore near us(Ocean City, NJ) and we have a healthy reserve, but do to an unexpected erosion issue (over $40,000) we had expenses that would wipe out the reserve, so we did a special assessment. Unexpected issues crop up and you should always be prepared for special assessment.

The Pearl is much closer to the beach than Palma Real, where we lived for two years. We didn't have too many complaints, except for the fact there are a lot of young children at Palma Real who are allowed to use the pools without adult supervision, day and night. There were quite a few condos broken into while we were there, with several items stolen, but since the are now actually using the gate that problem should have been alleviated. They have replaced all the pool furniture with nice chaise lounges and maintenance is fairly good there. Either place would be a great investment, but I like being closer to Eagle beach so I don't have to drive there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345