Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Hoping to buy in Aruba

If we are staying for 2 or 3 months, is it better to rent or own a car? If owning a car is best, is it difficult to get work done on it? Is registration similar to here? How do we insure it? Anything is helpful.

Thanks so much.

I'm loving these responses. So much great information from our forum members! Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum, Robin! I can't wait to hear more about your journey!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    If we are staying for 2 or 3 months, is it better to rent or own a car? If owning a car is best, is it difficult to get work done on it? Is registration similar to here? How do we insure it? Anything is helpful.

Thanks so much.
    to assist you I need to ask you....where is "here" as it relates to registering a car...Are you in US. Canada. U.K.? Car rental for 2--3 months can be around $550-600/ month. To buy, get plates and insurance is an interesting process. If you buy and sell within 3 months you will probably spend about the same as renting

you first buy the car and then go get insurance and then go pay tax and register

We have been compiling the same facts and numbers that you are for the last five years. For the amount of money that we would spend on a property we figured that we'd break out even in expenditures in 10-12 years. Of course if renting only, we'd have no equity, just a pile of receipts, which from my business sense drives me crazy. If we owned we'd probably go to the island for three months in the winter and a month and a half in the fall. We would buy a car, as renting in high season isn't very cost effective, unless you do so infrequently. Right now our biggest regret is that we didn't buy 3-4 years ago, as time passes by quickly. We would have been smart to make the move in our 50's, rather than now in our sixties. We wish you well.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Great info here. I am watching this closely. It is my dream to retire 6 months a year in Aruba. I wish I had the money lying around to buy now but that is not really feasible at this point so we will continue to rent whenever we visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Great info here. I am watching this closely. It is my dream to retire 6 months a year in Aruba. I wish I had the money lying around to buy now but that is not really feasible at this point so we will continue to rent whenever we visit.
    I suggest you rent a villa that is a bit back from the beaches to get a feel for living here

Aruba since 1979
    in 1999 we had the opportunity to buy a small house with a nice pool.
    we decided against it. at that point we were 9 years from retirement and our son was in middle school, my parents were both alive, but both in poor health.
    there were too many things not in our favor.

the house was $99K.
    it was a 2 bedroom 2 bath, 1600 sq ft conucu style with a tile roof, 18 x 40 inground pool, and a 2 car garage on property land.
    it was in the neighborhood on the way to the natural bridge...up hills and curvy road...beautiful view.
    this house today is worth at least $300K. we have driven by it and it is kept up nicely and is quite pretty.

hindsight is tough.
    i wish we had bought.
    "If" we had bought it, we would spend from Nov to April in aruba and would have bought a condo in new england for spring-fall.

Thanks.

We live in New Jersey. In NJ, we pay to keep the car registered yearly. When you purchase a car new/or used car, everything is handled at the dealership-they get the registration and tags from the Division of Motor Vehicles(DMV). Sales tax is paid when you buy a car from the dealer. If you buy it through a private sale, you do the work at the DMV and pay the tax there.

Thanks- We certainly will prior to doing anything. We could decide to rotate spots each year and just rent- time will tell. We have another 11-12 years or so to go is my best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    I suggest you rent a villa that is a bit back from the beaches to get a feel for living here
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 11-14-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Buying in Aruba

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    My husband and I are planning on buying either a home or condo in Aruba because we want to spend winter there. We've been there probably 6 or 7 or 8 times and every time we go, it feels like home. We are going next month to start looking and he has made some appointments with realtors. I am looking for some advice. We are not sure if we want a house or a condo (we need 2-3 bedrooms and 2 bath). We need good internet because he needs to work while we are there. I want to be somewhere I can meet people and make new friends. We are probably younger(we're just hitting our mid 50s). than most "snowbirds". My husband keeps going back and forth of what is important to him-view, near the beach, and cost.

What I am looking for is what the realtors won't tell me. We've driven around the island many times and have an idea of where we don't want to be. But what areas would be best for us? Where should we avoid? What questions may I not know to ask?

Thanks,
    Robin

Hi Robin My name is Brittney please feel free to contact me I will be happy to answer all of your questions and have some condo's or homes that may be to your liking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast