Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Positives about "home ownership on Aruba"

Aruba since 1979

The Positives about "home ownership on Aruba"

We have read some negatives about homeownership in Aruba.

What are the benefits that you as an owner have experienced?

Sorry for the "off-topic" answer, but after reading a few horror stories of peoples ownership experiences, I'm not too surprised there are no responses yet. At first we thought what a great place to retire, but now it's a "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" thing (but we'd like to visit often or for a really long time). Kind of sad, we really love Aruba, but other peoples troubles have made us reconsider.

Aruba since 1979
    i hear you!
    i was hoping that some that have had no or minor issues would reply with something positive.
    forum members sugar, billstellar, retagger, aquaman, are just a handful of members that are owners and seem to have posted no issues.

i cannot imagine that the negative outweighs the positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Sorry for the "off-topic" answer, but after reading a few horror stories of peoples ownership experiences, I'm not too surprised there are no responses yet. At first we thought what a great place to retire, but now it's a "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" thing (but we'd like to visit often or for a really long time). Kind of sad, we really love Aruba, but other peoples troubles have made us reconsider.

Ok. I will start. My wife and I bought land in 2008 and hired a contractor to build our home. Our home was completed in 2009. We were burglarized once in 2009 when we first moved in. (You can read more about that incident in my previous posts in 2009). Since that incident, we have only had positive experiences.

The positives for owning a home in Aruba for me are
    • It is your home...
    • Can go visit anytime you want. No reservations required. (Unless you rent your home like we do).
    • You can bring family and friends with you at no additional lodging charges. (Everyone wants to be your friend when you own a home in Aruba).
    • We now travel with only carry on luggage since all we need is already at our home.
    • You can decorate anyway that you want because it is your home.
    • Extremely low property taxes. Our taxes are around $500.00 for the entire year.
    • Garbage pickup is included in the taxes.
    • I have very friendly neighbors that I communicate with on a regular basis.
    • I have many police officer friends on the Aruba police force and have some of them over when I am on the island. This helps when I am not on the island as they do patrol my area more often. (I can see them on my cameras when they pass my home).
    • I can watch my house and neighborhood via my security cameras anytime I wish. I can also view the sunset everyday via my phone or pc.

I am sure there are many more positive points to report but this is a start. I will add more later...

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    thanks david!!

We're in the process of closing.

To be honest, the stories we've read here haven't turned us off: having lived in numerous parts of the world, I can assure everyone that these stories aren't unique to Aruba and, if you go looking for those stories, you'll find them everywhere... including North America. Try Google'ing "San Francisco squatters" (or any city for that matter) - it's all over the place.

And landlord-tenant disputes are even more ubiquitous.

If anything, those kinds of stories have tipped our decision as to whether we'll rent or not. We won't.

Great list of positives David!! Can we be friends

Act1966 I hope that you will report back on your experiences with closing and making friends with neighbors, etc. I'd love to hear more about the journey
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I can not speak for ourselves, as we do not own property on the island. What I can say is that we have met five owners from the states in the development that we rent in and they all say the same thing. They all have no regrets, would do it again and enjoy the island immensely.

I totally agree with act1966. If we look in our backyard it can certainly be much worse and nothing is perfect. Hopefully someday we'll be added to the list of happy owners in Aruba!
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Many people have asked why we don't buy on the island...
    I like reading all the positives here
    we have to many world travels to do now before settling some place warm.

We purchased our townhouse in 2012 and closed when construction was done in 2013. Purchasing in a development with not being on the island to manage the construction was an issue. We ended up hiring a representative to handle all of the issues on island and to deal with construction short cuts. We ended up with a great home and we don't have the issues that some of our neighbors have with plumbing, electrical and such.

Positive is that we now have realized our dream of owning in the islands. We had tried 10 years prior and had the deal fall apart after 2 years and lots of fees. Very negative experience. We looked hard for someplace that we felt the issues that we had in the BVI would not happen again. We choose Aruba.

From our experience everything leading up to the closing will make you question why you decided to purchase. The system with buying in Aruba is front end loaded with fees and taxes. Great once you buy, but no fun on the front end. They use a notary system that charges a significant percentage of the purchase on the front end. So closing costs are significant. We are partners in a small business in the US, so going to the island to do closing paperwork at the end of the year was not going to work for us. We did a power of attorney to our representative to deal with that and signed all the paperwork via fed-ex.

We purchased in a gated community, so there are issues with management vs. owners. We are all outsiders, so we have no real pull legally. We love our townhouse, we love the community and the people we have met there so far. We already have loyal friends who rent large chunks of time every year from us. So those are friendships that we would have never had without the home.

The long term goal would be to work a month and take a month off in Aruba. We could never make that work without owning. As our children and grand children grow and spend time with us at our home we are creating memories that are awesome.

As with anything, there is some negatives, but the positives far outweigh the negative. We very carefully choose who manages our property and feel that our manager has our back in the process.

Kevin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast