Aruba Beach
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: problems with our long term rental (we are the owners)

Hi Everyone,

I had this long write up that I was going to post everything that has
    happened to me including "settlement offers" or as I call it "extortion".
    We have had 2 offensive offers in which it seems that they think we are
    "wealthy americans" which is so far from the truth it's not funny.

I have decided to hold back until I hear from the July 1st ruling
    from the judge. We are very frustrated. The issue is this:
    The judge looks at is the "need" of the house for the owner and tenant. They
    said that since we have this house in Fla - we didn't need the house in Aruba. We
    told the lawyer that we couldn't move to Aruba unless the house in Aruba was empty.
    The other thing they were looking for was our progress on getting our residency back.
    It is much easier to do that while you are on the island verses flying back and forth.
    Plus we have the 6 month no residency required. They do not understand that.

I'd like to thank Aquaman for all his help. He helped us get in contact with a
    good real estate agent and a great lawyer. This whole thing is really complicated
    and he has been wonderful answering posts for me. To tell you the truth, every
    time I write about this I start to cry. This is not a typical situation. We had
    heard horror stories about renting but thought we had protected ourselves.
    Obviously this was not the case. A lot was caused by our real estate agent.

So thank you Aquaman for everything. I don't think we could have come this
    far without you. Our first lawyer did not do a good job. We did not know this because
    of the difference in language and law. There are not transcripts (which would
    be in dutch any way) so we are behind the 8 ball with the entire thing. You are
    a true friend and I am so grateful for your help.

I'll let you know what happens on July 1st or 2nd. Cross your fingers and send
    that energy. We don't have a fuzzy feeling because they don't get the selling
    our house here and getting our residency yet.

Thanks everyone!
    Liz

PS If you have any connections or ideas to help us, please let us know!

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for posting liz!
    july 1 is just around the corner.

Again, I am so very sorry that this has happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    The judge looks at is the "need" of the house for the owner and tenant. They said that since we have this house in Fla - we didn't need the house in Aruba.
    So now it sounds like Aruba has "squatters rights". Very very sad that an investment can be taken over for the "greater good".

Just another reminder to oneself NOT to invest in property on the island of Aruba.

Hi Arubalisa

As Aruba has Dutch law in effect, squatters rights have existed for a long time. I own and have a number of friends who also own and rent out. Most have never experienced the problem that Liz has. I suspect that Liz may have been setup from the very beginning based on what she has told me. While there are different laws in effect in Aruba, I don't think this one case should detract from making an investment. Due diligence is required when both purchasing and renting. As with everywhere, S*** happens there. There are a number of short term vacation rental horror stories as well. I personally think it is super important to have a credible, trusted and knowledgeable person on the Island to represent ones interests. It took me a few years to establish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Again, I am so very sorry that this has happened to you.

So now it sounds like Aruba has "squatters rights". Very very sad that an investment can be taken over for the "greater good".

Just another reminder to oneself NOT to invest in property on the island of Aruba.

I'm saddened to hear that you are still dealing with this after all this time. Hopefully July 1st you will get the news you need to hear. Saying prayers!

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks for the update, Liz. I'm sorry that the news could not be more positive for now. But I'm still hopeful for Juli 1. I'm very happy for you that you have found such a good friend like Aquaman in this very difficult situation who brought you together with the most important people: a qualified lawyer and a qualified real estate person.

I'll continue sending you lots of positive thoughts and energy. And prayers.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Dear NY Times...I have a story for you

Lizzardo you are on my mind frequently. I am sorry for the Bullsh** to have to put up with
    stay strong

Sad Sad!!!!! The Judge has ruled against Liz and Mick!!!!

Aruba since 1979
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Sad Sad!!!!! The Judge has ruled against Liz and Mick!!!!

It's so difficult to understand the rationalization!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast