Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: problems with our long term rental (we are the owners)

Hoping it gets so much better with a more aggressive lawyer!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    They appealed and can now stay in the house. We are waiting for more details but it's simple - even if you own a house in Aruba, you can not do what you want with it. .
    I wouldn't even consider buying property in another country unless I was in a financial position to lose it. Of course they will favor the rights of their own citizens.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure there is no renewal option in any rental contract I make out.

Our clause said renewable yearly upon agreement of both parties. We sent him a letter saying we were moving
    back and would not be renewing our rent - sent in Sept - end date of contact Nov 30.
    I'm not sure sure anything can protect the owners - they are all tenant rights.
    I think even if you went to an attorney - you'd get a different answer from all of them.

But let me just say I couldn't have made it this far without all your support and making me feel that my anger was justified.

Thank you all for your advise, love and humor. Here is our update - we got
    introduced to a very nice man who said he would help us. Still kinda waiting
    to see what he is going to do. He recommended a lawyer who was a little
    pricier than our other one. We think she'll do a better job for us.

We have written to the man who said he could help asking him
    if he understands our position.

Our case was "won" in the last battle by the tenant (we had won the housing committee)
    - even tho we said we wanted to move back - they won
    because they always paid their rent. They did not care about the violations
    of the contract and said even tho the contract said the house was for sale when
    he rented it and he had to move out w/i 90 days - we had a low rent. He claims
    he can't get a rental like ours - Damn straight you can't.

So we will see. Not feeling the love these days. Hopefully once new years is over
    they might get back to work.

Love you all! Wishing you all the best for the new year. You guys in Aruba - light
    a big cherry bomb outside our house!!! LOL! I know Krampus will be visiting this
    guy. Just so sad to see that there are people out there so uncaring and love causing
    problems. Enough is enough!!!
    Last edited by lizzardo; 01-08-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org

So as long as they pay the rent, they can stay as long as they want?

I took out any option to renew or extension/month to month; past the terms of the rental agreement.

They are not Aruban - this guy is dutch and has a bad reputation.

Good thing to do Vincep. But still would question it in Aruba -
    laws are funky.

We trusted the lease from the real estate agent -
    who claims she's a lawyer. But in the US that's what
    you are paying the commission for.

We thought that renewable option made it stone hard that if any party does not want to renew - that was the end of the lease.

We lived in Aruba and found out a lot about how Aruba works. But we were suckers for this.

Thanks for all the support - it means a lot to me. Also helps me feel that I am not crazy!!
    Last edited by lizzardo; 12-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org

Just curious; would you ever consider going to Aruba and discussing this with the individual face to face? Every time I read your posts I get aggravated for you. I just can't imagine the rationalization that allows him to stay.

Liz, I think it is only fair to point out that this issue is not of Aruban making. The squatter situation is deeply entrenched in Dutch law and goes back many many years. Since Aruba is governed under Dutch law, this situation exists. The individual with whom I put you in contact has been ill and, like business people I know here, he is off the island until Jan 6. Just the way it is here at Xmas/New Year.

I willspeak to to the individuals with whom you have contact and relay afghani your frustration. I cannot promise anything before Jan 6

i do go by your place every couple of days. At least it is still there.

J

I have had lots of bad experiences renting property in Cleveland, but this story takes the cake. How can governments let people steal from landlords like this.

New York could easy beat Cleveland in Aruba in this respect. Unfortunately.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast