Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Aruba residents ?? Looking for Info.

Questions for Aruba residents ?? Looking for Info.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for all sorts of info from people who actually live in Aruba.
    Who better to ask then those who have made the decision to make it there home, especially if there are any fellow Brits that live there like myself. ... for example, is it difficult to order stuff online via Amazon, mail etc

when buying land how does that work with regards to building a house on it or does it come as a package deal.

I have read a few thing on the forums about it but there's not much detail.

I would say it is difficult only because my friend that lives in Aruba had us buy something in the states and bring it....it was much cheaper than having it shipped to Aruba.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Aruba since 1979
    the same with us too.

a few times we had a whole suitcase devoted to bringing things per request of aruba friends that do not want to pay HIGH fees for shipping.
    one must be careful bringing things in as there is always a chance (albeit slight) of being charged duty at aruba customs.
    a few years ago, we brought a friend an autopart from an auto part store, brought someone a couple of fancy schmancy texas instrument calculators, and 30 skeins of aran (irish) yarn for knitting. the most odd requests were for us to bring a portable sewing machine which we had to decline and battery operated spin toothbrushes....i forget how many but it was a lot...maybe 20.

shipping to aruba is costly

QUOTE=Aruba4ever;305810]I would say it is difficult only because my friend that lives in Aruba had us buy something in the states and bring it....it was much cheaper than having it shipped to Aruba.[/QUOTE]
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Hi Andrea/ Aruba4ever,

Guy's that doesn't sound great! I like my creature comforts and I'm sat here thinking hmm could I do without Amazon lol sad I know!!! ...but I suppose its a small price to pay for living somewhere so beautiful. I wonder if you can get all the same household stuff as we do in the UK and states? Do you think we would miss lots of things?...... do you just have holiday homes there instead. My friend that I met on holiday in August is looking for property but she says she only intends on staying for 6 months at a time,maybe its for that reason. It might be too much of an adjustment to likes of us that live in fast paced countries

Aruba since 1979
    i "wish" i had a vacation home there.

i hope all that are property owners there reply to your questions.

re: the 6 month thing... many stay there only 6 months as that is all immigration allows unless the person has residency.
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    We have a house guest that lives and has a business in Aruba who needed a auto part. The cost of the part in Aruba was $600+. DH drove her to a few auto parts store here in N.J. She got the part for $300+. A big savings.

While it is true that some things are expensive, there are also some things that are a lot less expensive. Example... My dog needed dental work. Back home the quote was $2000 plus taxes...same work here in Aruba was $150. Also we find some of our prescriptions and over the counter Meds cheaper. Some by over 70%. My car insurance roughly $300/yr. Property taxes $1800

Not sure if it all balances out. I guess it depends on what you consume.

Hi Aruba Ariba

Hopefully your decision to buy a property or live on Aruba will be based on more than simply whether Amazon delivers or not ?!! I'm sure it is because you have fallen in love with the island like the rest of us.

Amazon does not deliver to Aruba per se. It is possible to use a shipping agent to take your items from the US in one of their shipping containers as part of a bigger consignment back to Aruba. You send the Amazon item to a US shipping address provided by the Shipping Agent There are obviously additional charges involved in this. This can be 10 - 30% of the value/size/weight of the item bought. Additionally, Aruba Customs Charges are levied which can be sizable. For the above reasons many Aruba citizens or non residents ask friends/family to bring items over for them from the U.S or Europe as this is the cheapest way to do it.

Aruba levies quite high import duties on nearly everything brought into (or shipped) into the country.

Property in Aruba is bought on the land it stands on like the UK. The land is defined as either "Property Land" (UK equivalent of Freehold) or "Lease Land" (UK Leasehold). Property Land is held forever and can be passed on to children etc. Lease land is effectively leased from the Aruba Government usually for a period of 60 Years for a fee each year. At the end of the 60 years the land is normally automatically re-leased back to the owner by the government.

Property or Lease Land can be purchased in Aruba and a house then constructed on the site. Like the UK proper Government Planning Permission and site inspections are required during the building process.

Regards

Mick
    Last edited by elephant_guy; 10-16-2016 at 04:37 PM.

wow.. I see what you mean and I am comparing it to what we pay at home ... vets bills are usually expensive here too that's not bad for some dental work - I hope he appreciates his new Hollywood smile ...prescriptions here are 8.40 an item depending whats on your script ...and as for property taxes that sounds good to me too, considering we pay 3000 pounds a year just under ..its interesting comparing quotes though in different countries, whats healthcare like do you have to pay private like in the states? I wish I lived in the states though cause then my trip to Aruba would be cheaper too it took 10 hours for us to get there

yeah but I love Amazon!!! but yes Mick you have a point... shame on me ...thanks for the useful information. I do love Aruba it is beautiful and the people are too, there very friendly and warm and I am missing the place so much since being back home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast