Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Serlimar or Ecotech ??

Serlimar or Ecotech ??

Not been on the island since Serlimar started charging for domestic garbage removal and currently don't have a company. Anyone got any recommendations, horror stories, advice re which provider is best value for money, providing the best service etc ??

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick - We currently have our trash picked up 2x per week and we have one Serlimar can and one Ecotech can. Historically we had 2 companies because Serlimar's trash service was always free of charge but was not that reliable so we added the paid service of Ecotech as a second trash pick up date. Having both services also allowed us to have 2 different days per week when trash would be removed. Ecotech is extremely reliable. Now that Serlimar has started to charge for the trash pick up, we are thinking of cancelling the Serlimar service but haven't taken any action yet as we're monitoring Serlimar to see if their service would improve. I'll be curious to see what other feedback you receive from the forum members on this topic.

Thanks for the reply SkiChris.

Unfortunately (!!) neither Serlimar nor Ecotech have their charges on their websites. If you don't mind me asking, is there much or a difference in monthly cost for domestic collection ? Also, talking about websites (forgive the digression), I don't suppose you happen to know what has happened to both the WEB and ELMAR websites as they have both have been unavailable for account/billing access for about 3 weeks now...

Many thanks

Mick

Ecotech is AWG 25.63 per month. Their website is http://www.ecotecharuba.com/ . I have never used the on-line bill payment feature so can't provide much information there. For comparison, Serlimar's price is AWG 25.62 per month so the cost is pretty much the same for either company.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    Hi Mick - We currently have our trash picked up 2x per week and we have one Serlimar can and one Ecotech can. Historically we had 2 companies because Serlimar's trash service was always free of charge but was not that reliable so we added the paid service of Ecotech as a second trash pick up date. Having both services also allowed us to have 2 different days per week when trash would be removed. Ecotech is extremely reliable. Now that Serlimar has started to charge for the trash pick up, we are thinking of cancelling the Serlimar service but haven't taken any action yet as we're monitoring Serlimar to see if their service would improve. I'll be curious to see what other feedback you receive from the forum members on this topic.
    Hi Chris - do you think there's been an improvement in Serlimar reliability since they started charging?

Aruba since 1979
    just wondering....

does the city/town/gvmt have trash/garbage pickup ? if so, is there an additional fee?
    also is there recycling collection too?

Yes. There are two companies that do trash pick up for residential: Selimar and ECOTech.

As far as I can tell, you choose which service (or both) you want and pay for that service either monthly or annually. It's around $300.

There's no formal curb side recycling or composting program but you can take recyclables to the Selimar landfill:

http://www.serlimar.org/index.php/la...container-park

I guess they don't have the budget/infrastructure to support the trucks for recycling and compost... maybe in the future?

I can understand why Chris has two services: we have garbage, recycling and compost at home in Toronto (three containers) - trying to put everything in one container with one pick up per week is proving challenging! We're off to the dump/landfill - I'm sure that'll be an interesting post for the forum! LOL

Thanks so much for the replies.

Andrea - The Government/City/Town Garbage was previously undertaken by Serlimar for free as Serlimar is owned/controlled by the municipal authorities. Our mistaken belief (Silly Old Us !!) was that this was paid for from our local property taxes, which it was until it was decided that an additional charge should be levied on it. So its a bit of a double tax hit really by the Government.... Unless you go with ECOtech, but even then even if they don't get the extra money, its one less garbage bin for Serlimar to empty !!

Hi Mick, about seven years ago when we first completed building our home, we used Serlimar. Back then, even though we had a set schedule for the pickup, they never really stuck to it. They would come on different days each week and sometimes not at all. I had to call and complain a few times. About one year later, we switched to the paid service of Ecotech and have no regrets. They come on the assigned days and they will take just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    Hi Mick, about seven years ago when we first completed building our home, we used Serlimar. Back then, even though we had a set schedule for the pickup, they never really stuck to it. They would come on different days each week and sometimes not at all. I had to call and complain a few times. About one year later, we switched to the paid service of Ecotech and have no regrets. They come on the assigned days and they will take just about anything.
    Thanks Retagger. Think that's probably my decision made. Is there a minimum contract period or if I left the island for 6 months is it possible to activate and deactivate collection ? Have looked on the website but there is nothing about minimum contract terms etc..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast