Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Update on getting our house back from the Lawyer/renter

As I offered this opinion before, if I were you I would contact an American media source to do a piece on owning property in Aruba and what can happen. No one likes bad publicity especially without a positive outcome. This may move things along since there are so many US citizens owning or wanting to own property in Aruba and the government may not like the negative publicity. A media outlet can be your best option, imo, since you have tried everything else. In addition, the lawyer who is renting your house may not like the negative publicity as he is a professional too and this could just be the "nudge" to get him out.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Randi, I think that's a brilliant idea...playing by the rules only works when both sides do that. if one side plays dirty, then I say "bring it on"..

I like that Idea! In NY some of the news channel help people out in these type of situation. There was one about slum landlord in one of the boroughs which they exposed, there was one about an agency who would promise to find jobs for people for a fee and did not deliver etc. In the end they had no choice but to settle with the person complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    As I offered this opinion before, if I were you I would contact an American media source to do a piece on owning property in Aruba and what can happen. No one likes bad publicity especially without a positive outcome. This may move things along since there are so many US citizens owning or wanting to own property in Aruba and the government may not like the negative publicity. A media outlet can be your best option, imo, since you have tried everything else. In addition, the lawyer who is renting your house may not like the negative publicity as he is a professional too and this could just be the "nudge" to get him out.
    brilliant idea!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    brilliant idea!
    I think we are going to look into that. Seeing how another issue that happened in Aruba got so much press -
    ours should get a lot. Especially with my mom's request to spread her ashes there and not being able to
    do now for 3 years now and my dad in the condition he is - I will get a ton of sympathy from the news
    teams!
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org

I don't know if my post was deleted or posted somewhere else so I just want to repost. If this gets deleted, could the moderator let me know they are deleting it and why.

Hi All,

Just want to clear up some things. #1 I have never said anything about violence or breaking any US or Aruban law. #2 He pays his rent but was late 2 months and did not pay the 5% penality (surprise surprise). I don't think I would ever contact Nancy
    Grace on this because I don't know if I could stand talking to her but it's always nice to know that would be the 'final solution'.
    #3 We have shown that we intend to move back by listing our house on the market here - however we have a clause saying we
    can't close until we have the house in Aruba available and then we will be homeless. We have kept many cats from our Aruba Kitten Rescue and can not get a rental. We are filing to DIMAS for residency - issue is that we are trying to use the price of our sold home in Florida as income but no one in Aruba seems to get that. So we are just going to have to show them other income. They are also restructuring the DIMAS and SIA systems so things are changing all the time. Frustrating - OMG! So it's a catch-22 thing. But we will be getting some money soon so our DIMAS issue will be over unless they change it again! We had 5 years being a full time resident so you think they would be cool. But it's DIMAS.

I have been thinking about this and would love everyone's opinion on my ideas on how to get publicity.
    I have thought of several ways to go about this:
    1. Local news and hope it's picked up nationally - but all of Florida will know - not sure it would make it nationally
    2. Contact the Travel Network because they have international house hunters and they could do a special about what anyone should know before moving overseas.
    3. Contact Destination America because they have several 'buying the..' shows and again informing people who are buying out of the country
    4. Contacting FYI/H2 or We because they also have programming about buying houses.

We were even thinking of getting a student who is majoring in the media to do a story - show the business, our house, us over skype and all the 'extortion' offers we have gotten from them and then sending it to the networks. Our renter has shown disdain already that he hates Americans and think we don't know anything about 'following the rules' or something to that nature and suggesting we watch the dutch people and could learn some lessons. (That was posted on the boards).

We are also thinking of interviewing the real estate agents about this too. That should be interesting since they
    said they had 'vetted this man' (who has a past by just goggling his name) and giving us a 'standard lease' which
    was thrown out in court and now we are not sure what we have but we do not have an end date of when he will
    leave.

We also have people like Alicia and others who might want to be included in this because of what happened to them.
    This will show we are not just an 'unusual' case. There are other cases that are actually worse than mine - but I
    think they will get resolution before me because I have a lawyer renter.

I haven't talked this out with my DH yet and I don't know if we would give our renter notice of this. He lives up to his
    reputation of being a bully who will try to win at all costs. I don't think this is breaking any law at all. We have contacted
    (and some people on the boards have too) the Aruban bar, real estate agents and Aruban ministers who have not
    even replied to us let alone help us. I don't know if contacting them first would be a good route to go.

Please let me know what you think. Some people have emailed me concerned about how we would be received
    by Aruba when we move back. We have no idea but basically we have been used by someone who is using their
    'knowledge of the law' to stay in our house over 3 years now at a low low rent price and we were not able to raise
    the rent on how it should be.

Also if anyone you know somewhere in the Aruban bar or government who could step in on our defense so something
    so he goes. This issue (which they should known about for a long time) shows how this could affect North Americans
    from deciding to buy houses in Aruba and how some people were thinking of renting the house before moving becuase
    they wanted to get in while prices were lower. My case is certainly a 'black mark' on the way Aruba treats one of
    it's biggest sources of income. I just wish they would help. They don't seem to understand how this could affect
    their 'bottom line' and Aruba needs money!

Love you all! Thanks for all the love and support!
    Lizzardo

Aruba since 1979
    liz is this the forum where you wanted this?
    there is another aruba bb that had some recent activity/questions re: your situation.
    maybe you should post it there too

your posts are not deleted

i think that you may be confusing your posts here and on the other aruba bb

Liz, I'm not sure a local market is where you need to be concerned. I know there are a lot of people going/buying in Aruba that are based in Florida, but I would aim for the Northeastern market. Aruba advertises on stations in New England where there is a huge market for the island. Hit 'em where the real money is coming from.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Boston would be the first place I would hit.
    hint; Trip Advisor is located there

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I may have missed something but does this guy have a lease? If the lease is up, does Aruban authorities say that he can still stay there? Because that would mean a lease is a useless document & Aruba can't possibly have a judicial system that is more backwards than an under developed third world country, can they? I mean if a lease is up, don't renew it. I know that sounds simple but it's pretty basic law in most countries.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast