Aruba Beach
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Retagger
  • 1 Post By Aruba-Mark
  • 1 Post By Retagger

Thread: Your Aruba house-when you are not there.

Aruba since 1979

Your Aruba house-when you are not there.

Wondering ....what do you fine folks have to do when leaving your aruba home and heading back to your other home (usa, canada, wherever) ?

Do you notify neighbors that the house will be unoccupied? Do you hire someone to keep and eye out on your house?
    Any other particulars? Water off? Airco set on certain temp?

When we leave our home in Aruba I do notify my neighbors to keep an an eye out for an unusual activity. (I have really good neighbors that have become friends that I keep in contact with when we are not on the island). I also have a property manager who also does an excellent job. With the security cameras that I have installed, it feels like I am in Aruba every day. (We get to watch the sunset in Aruba in our family room in Jersey, even when it is snowing here). I also have an alarm that notifies me on my iPhone when it is activated.

My water stays on as I have an automatic irrigation system for our garden. I leave my air-conditioning off while we are not there. When I leave, I leave a portable de-humidifier on top of my kitchen sink with it draining into the sink. This will eliminate any chance of mold and/or mildew buildup within our home. We have been doing this for many years and it works.

Aruba since 1979
    i like that idea of the portable dehumidifier draining directly into the sink.
    i am sure that the cost of running the dehumidifier is much less expensive than running the airco when you are not there.

We are surrounded by snowbirds here in my neighborhood and i bet if they did the same as you with their airco, their houses would be nice and dry without keeping the air on!

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    When we leave our home in Aruba I do notify my neighbors to keep an an eye out for an unusual activity. (I have really good neighbors that have become friends that I keep in contact with when we are not on the island). I also have a property manager who also does an excellent job. With the security cameras that I have installed, it feels like I am in Aruba every day. (We get to watch the sunset in Aruba in our family room in Jersey, even when it is snowing here). I also have an alarm that notifies me on my iPhone when it is activated.

My water stays on as I have an automatic irrigation system for our garden. I leave my air-conditioning off while we are not there. When I leave, I leave a portable de-humidifier on top of my kitchen sink with it draining into the sink. This will eliminate any chance of mold and/or mildew buildup within our home. We have been doing this for many years and it works.

We are in the process of closing on a place in Gold Coast. Should be completed in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I have already hired a property manager to watch my place. He is an American that lives there full time and came highly recommended from some other people I know that live there. I'll have to check on the portable dehumidifier. The people I purchase from have about 20 boxes of baking soda opened throughout the house when they are not there.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Is there a way to lead the hose from the dehumidifier outside (instead of kitchen sink) to water some plants? Just wondering if that would be safe to do...

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Is there a way to lead the hose from the dehumidifier outside (instead of kitchen sink) to water some plants? Just wondering if that would be safe to do...
    I'm sure there likely is, but, the bigger question is would it be safe to leave when the owner is not on the island.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I originally thought of that idea but too many things can go wrong when it is left unattended. I would have to drill a hole through my wall to run a hose. It could clogged with either dirt, dust, insects, etc., and could cause a water issue which would result in more mold, mildew, water damage. I have had zero issues and have been using this method for many years in my Aruba vacation home as well as my home in Portugal. I have both set on timer for two hours per day.