Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By aquaman
  • 1 Post By aquaman

Thread: 2 New Aruba Books about to be released

2 New Aruba Books about to be released

Just a heads up for folks. In a couple of weeks there will be 2 books available that deal with some historical events that occurred in Aruba during World War II. I have had the pleasure of reading these books with great interest. They were authored by Mr Adolf (Dufi) Kock, one of Aruba's respected historians. Dufi is recognized in Aruba for the community work he has initiated or been involved in. His efforts have included the recovery of the propeller of the Oranjestad which was torpedoed. The propellor has now been erected as a monument to those who sacrificied their lives. Dufi is a member of the Order of Nassau Orange,which recognizes the outstanding efforts to society and contributions made.

One book deals with the German ship Antilla which as many know is now lying as a wreck off the beach at Malmok. It is entitled "The Story of the German Freighter E.S. Antilla"
    The book covers how the ship ended up coming to Aruba, the time it spent there and the escape attempts by it and the other German ships moored in Aruba's then neutral waters. Contained in the book is the transcript of the then Dutch Military commander's scathing criticsm of the Dutch marine commander who was tasked with capturing the Antilla before it was scuttled. It also shines light on the theory that the Antilla was a supply ship for the U-Boats deployed into the Caribbean. The book also contains a detailed account of the post war efforts to salvage the Antilla and provides a detailed chronology of the events and people involved.

The second book entitled "The Torpedo Incident at Eagle Beach, Aruba", also deals with wartime Aruba. It covers the actions of U-Boat U156 which was involved in an attack on the now Valero refinery, the German crew's mistake in not preparing the deck gun and causing a deathly explosion and the sinking of several lake tankers moored in Aruba. In particular, the book deals with the torpedo attack at Eagle Pier (Eagle Beach). It details the firing of a torpedo which missed its target and ended up on Eagle Beach where it exploded when Dutch Marines were attempting to disarm it, killing some of those Marines. Additionally, the book describes the firing of another torpedo from the stern tube of the U-Boat. This torpedo never reached its target and until today is still missing in the waters off Eagle Beach. Efforts were made by the Dutch Navy last summer to find the torpedo. There will be additional efforts made this coming summer by a Dutch Marines crew.

These books give a great feel for the atmoshere in Aruba during the war. They will be on sale at the Antraco bookstore in Oranjestad. If anyone has questions, please post them and I will attempt to get the answers.
    Last edited by aquaman; 04-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    john thanks for the information on these 2 new books!!
    dear husband cocked his head to the side and said "excellent" when i read to him your post.......he is a real history buff especially ww2.

again, thanks for posting this very important heads up for those that have often wondered of the "story of the antilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Just a heads up for folks. In a couple of weeks there will be 2 books available that deal with some historical events that occurred in Aruba during World War II. I have had the pleasure of reading these books with great interest. They were authored by Mr Adolf (Dufi) Kock, one of Aruba's respected historians. Dufi is recognized in Aruba for the community work he has initiated or been involved in. His efforts have included the recovery of the propeller of the Oranjestad which was torpedoed. The propellor has now been erected as a monument to those who sacrificied their lives. Dufi is a member of the Order of Nassau Orange,which recognizes the outstanding efforts to society and contributions made.

One book deals with the German ship Antilla which as many know is now lying as a wreck off the beach at Malmok. It is entitled "The Story of the German Freighter E.S. Antilla"
    The book covers how the ship ended up coming to Aruba, the time it spent there and the escape attempts by it and the other German ships moored in Aruba's then neutral waters. Contained in the book is the transcript of the then Dutch Military commander's scathing criticsm of the Dutch marine commander who was tasked with capturing the Antilla before it was scuttled. It also shines light on the theory that the Antilla was a supply ship for the U-Boats deployed into the Caribbean. The book also contains a detailed account of the post war efforts to salvage the Antilla and provides a detailed chronology of the events and people involved.

The second book entitled "The Torpedo Incident at Eagle Beach, Aruba", also deals with wartime Aruba. It covers the actions of U-Boat U156 which was involved in an attack on the now Valero refinery, the German crew's mistake in not preparing the deck gun and causing a deathly explosion and the sinking of several lake tankers moored in Aruba. In particular, the book deals with the torpedo attack at Eagle Pier (Eagle Beach). It details the firing of a torpedo which missed its target and ended up on Eagle Beach where it exploded when Dutch Marines were attempting to disarm it, killing some of those Marines. Additionally, the book describes the firing of another torpedo from the stern tube of the U-Boat. This torpedo never reached its target and until today is still missing in the waters off Eagle Beach. Efforts were made by the Dutch Navy last summer to find the torpedo. There will be additional efforts made this coming summer by a Dutch Marines crew.

These books give a great feel for the atmoshere in Aruba during the war. They will be on sale at the Antraco bookstore in Oranjestad. If anyone has questions, please post them and I will attempt to get the answers.

Thanks Andrea,

What is also great is that there are several unique factors. In the book, the 1st part is in English, at the centre are some tremendous photos and the 2nd part is in Papiamento. There are quotes from a gentleman (Dutch) who was actually on one of the Dutch Naval ships sent to intercept Antilla. The author received an incrdible amount of support and assistance from former Dutch Naval personnel and the Dutch Naval Archives. For those wondering about earlier Aruba and what happened there in the war years this is a great reource.

John
    Last edited by aquaman; 04-27-2012 at 09:10 AM.

It is so nice to know that our history is being written about. Love it!
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Thanks aquaman. Yes, Charles, it is. The next Lago reunion is scheduled for the week of June 17 at the Westin, and if you are on the island, you may just run into some of us who were on the island the night of February 16, 1942. Dufi's books are an excellent source of history during that time. We look forward to seeing him in June. For those interested, Dan Jasen created a web site: lago-colony.com that has a world of information and also pictures from the 1930s. There is also a picture of that torpedo that landed on Eagle Beach.
    Enjoy.

Thanks so much for that info. Appreciate it.
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Aruba since 1979
    i just heard from AQUAMAN......The books on the Antilla and the Uboat 156 are now on sale here in Aruba at Antraco.

I'll be on the lookout for these two books. As a former History Major in College with a concentration in military history they are right up my alley. I remember hearing about the Antilla during the submarine tour of the wreck during my last visit. If I were a sailor on the Antilla with the choice of going back to Germany to pulled into the war effort( while dodging British ships on the way) verses being interned on Aruba and later Curacao I would surrender and stay on the islands.