Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
    Aruba since 1979

Airport Solar Panels

I am surprised at the lack of chatter here re: the expansive solar panels at the Queen Beatrix Airport.

I find them fascinating and would be interested in know what their cost was....how much electricity they will provide and how long will it take for them to pay for themselves.

The campany name is Phixx BV. nl i believe its a dutch company
    for all of your aruba tour needs! http://www.wixtours.com/

wonder if that is specifically for the airport or also local usage...I remember a friend telling me they were told the windmills would help to reduce their electric bill but that it never happened....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Good question.

A total of 14.000 solar panels will cover the entire parking lot at the airport and produce 3,5 megawatts, providing green energy for 1500 households. Thats about 7.000.000 kilowatt-hours a year.

Concerning the costs and break even: can't seem to find anything about it.

I did come across this though: http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...licy-caribbean

It will probably pay itself in 15 years or more. But cutting our addiction to oil is a great step in the right direction.

This will be more profitable in the future than we can imagine today...

Grtz

Jeremy

arubabag, that was a very interesting article...wonder why my friend sees no change in his electric bill if they say it is costing the aruban people less money for their electric bills....government mumbo jumbo if you ask me....and pockets being filled with cash.....oops, did I say that ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I was at the airport yesterday waiting on a flight and checked out the panels going up. At least what has been put up, I didn't notice any work being done at the time (3:00 pm). I don't know what the end result will be, but it sure will be nice to have covered parking. An hour or so in that desert of a lot can get the inside of a car quite warm.