Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I crazy/missing something?

Hi, we're considering a trip to Aruba from San Francisco in July. All of the flights we've found have layovers of at least 2 hours totaling at least 11 hours and 20 min of travel time to the island.
    Are we crazy to even consider this? Is it worth it?

Is there a more direct way for us to get there from the west coast?

Thanks!!

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up Well worth it

In 20 hours we are going to Aruba for the 4th. time in 1 year. Our total travel time from door to door is over 20 hours, and our ticket price is probably 3 times what you need to pay.
    But it is SO worth it every time ;-).
    You will not regret it.

Carsten
    Last edited by Schnauzerjoy; 07-02-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    blahblahblah....just do it, its worth every penny. Doesn't even compare to Hawaii....spend the $, spend the time, its worth it.
    Last edited by cindyo; 07-02-2008 at 07:58 AM.

We live in North Carolina and have an 11 hour layover everytime we go to Aruba, but after twenty years of doing this it is still worth it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    blahblahblah....just do it, its worth every penny. Doesn't even compare to Hawaii....spend the $, spend the time, its worth it.
    That's the one thing holding us back. We normally go to Maui or Kauai for these types of trips and we're so used to the 'tropical rainforest' type feel that I'm sure the arid nature of Aruba will be somewhat of a shock to us.

The biggest reason we're trying something new is because the residents of Hawaii have been so inhospitable the past couple of times that we just grew tired of the attitude while on vacation.
    Would you say the majority of locals you interact with on Aruba are friendly? Any cons/warnings you would give to someone trying to make this decision?

Quote Originally Posted by EdnaSmith View Post
    We live in North Carolina and have an 11 hour layover everytime we go to Aruba, but after twenty years of doing this it is still worth it.
    11 hour layover?!? We live in Minneapolis and only have about a 1 to 2 hour layover at our connection to Aruba.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    Would you say the majority of locals you interact with on Aruba are friendly?
    After many trips to Aruba I have found that majority of Arubans are friendly and hospitible. IMO they have earned the nickname "One Friendly Island". I dont actually remember have any really "Unpleasant Encounters". While you are in for a fairly long flight I think you will find it worth your effort.
    Last edited by TJMadhouse; 07-02-2008 at 01:31 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, steering wheel in one hand, Martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “Haaa Wooo” what a ride!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    Would you say the majority of locals you interact with on Aruba are friendly? Any cons/warnings you would give to someone trying to make this decision?
    Interesting enough, we have found the Aruban people to have become friendlier over the years.

If I have one complaint it is the arrogance of some of the taxi drivers, but it is not all of them. Honestly it is more than likely based imo upon their lack of a fare increase in 6 years , while all this time absorbing the high cost of fuel and an additional 12% tax. A tax which they cannot pass onto their passengers.

I will post more on the subject in a future post. In the meantime, in research you will find that Aruba has one of the highest repeat numbers of repeat visitors to their island. That itself has to say something. How many times have you gone to Aruba?

Our family met and became friendly with another family on our trip a few weeks ago who flew to Aruba from Dener to Aruba through JFK departing Denver at 12:55 a.m. and arriving in Aruba at about 1:30 p.m. Going home it was about 12 hours as well. Traveling with an 8 year old and 11 year old I would imagine this to be a feat. May I add, the flight must have been worth it because they are already planning a return trip next June.
    That's the one thing holding us back. We normally go to Maui or Kauai for these types of trips and we're so used to the 'tropical rainforest' type feel that I'm sure the arid nature of Aruba will be somewhat of a shock to us.
    Also, as you already know, Aruba is NOT lush and tropical. BUT this is one of the things which makes Aruba-- Aruba. The desert like arid climate guarantees nearly perfect weather with tradewinds to match.

LOL. I share your pain. We have an 18 hour trip scheduled at 6am the day after our wedding. It was almost a deal breaker for us, but after all the rave reviews, we couldn't pass it up.

Wink missing something?

Just charter your own jet.... There, you have no layover except maybe a refueling stop depending what plane you get.
    Thank you for your time,

Scott Kompa
    skompa@comcast.net

If you know of anyone that needs to buy or sell a home anywhere in the world let me know as I can help! Scott Kompa, Sales Associate, RE/MAX Connection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast