Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American Express in Aruba??

I have a Costco American Express and I want to use it while I'm there. Will it charge me extra fees for change in currency?

Aruba since 1979
    you should probably call their 1 800 customer service and ask.
    if you have the disclosure form it will probably be listed in teeney tiny print.
    or you could go onto their website and look there.

i know my AA citibank mastercard and my Visa and Discover all charge an international fee.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki18 View Post
    I have a Costco American Express and I want to use it while I'm there. Will it charge me extra fees for change in currency?

Common Foreign Transaction Fees
    "A February 2010 survey of foreign transaction fees conducted by the New York Times revealed a wide range of foreign transaction fees:

Capital One- No Foreign Transaction Fee

American Express - 2 - 3%, depending on member status

Bank of America - 3%

Chase - 3%

Citibank - 3%

HSBC - 3%

Wells Fargo - 3%

Discover Card - 2% - Accepted in China, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and certain parts of Europe.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union - Varies depnding on the card product

Capital One remains a powerful exception to the rule. Its bank branches in both the United States and the United Kingdom give it a competitive advantage in America and Europe. Therefore, Capital One charges no foreign transaction fees of any kind. Best of all, Capital One's Web site lets you apply same-day payments from any pre-registered checking account. I used my Capital One MasterCard for most of the expenses on my week-long trip, saving me a few hundred dollars. When some unexpected souvenirs got me close to my credit limit, a quick payment from the Web browser in my hotel's business center allowed me to keep saving money. ..."

I have the Jet Blue American Express. Before I left for my last trip, I called and asked, they do have the transaction fee, but only if they charge the card in Florins. The Occidental charges the card in US dollars and then there was not Transaction fee. But if the charge was made in the foreign currency then there was a 2.5% charge.
    Decided to take down my timer!

With all the recent laws trying to protect consumers, it wouldn't surprise me if cards that didn't have fees in the past now do (or fees have been increased). Probably worth a call to the company to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgroi135 View Post
    I have the Jet Blue American Express. Before I left for my last trip, I called and asked, they do have the transaction fee, but only if they charge the card in Florins. The Occidental charges the card in US dollars and then there was not Transaction fee. But if the charge was made in the foreign currency then there was a 2.5% charge.
    This is exactly what I found on our recent trip to Aruba with Amex, MC, & Visa. As long as the charge is in US$ and not florins there is no fee. We found that most places - restaurants, hotels, shops-in Aruba will use US$ when they process the transaction. I would request that the use $ when you give them your card to be sure. If any of the cards need to convert from Florins you will likely be charged a fee.
    Last edited by jeffnev; 07-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    i just got off of the phone w/ aa citimastercard.
    i was told....the fee will be charged, no matter whether the charge is made in US$ of Aruba Florins.
    the customer service lady (in mumbai) told me that the fee is charged in foreign countries no matter what currency the charge is.

my husband is calling now and will see what opinion he gets ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i just got off of the phone w/ aa citimastercard.
    i was told....the fee will be charged, no matter whether the charge is made in US$ of Aruba Florins.
    the customer service lady (in mumbai) told me that the fee is charged in foreign countries no matter what currency the charge is.

my husband is calling now and will see what opinion he gets ;-)
    Amazing that every card has different rules. We have a Continental MC and a Marriott Visa (both issued by Chase) and we just received our bill for our trip charges (furthering our post-Aruba depression). There were no additional fees added. I think your advice of asking your card issuer is the best advice.

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>> "Costco American Express"
    ------ Have a Costco card myself and no fee charge this past June as all of my transactions were in US$$. Now some other American Express cards may charge a fee as it depends on what bank/company/airline/credit union the card is with.
    At Ling & Sons Supermarket the check-out cash register did the conversion and charge was processed right there in US$$. They did ask to see a photo ID. At my resort both week charges were processed without fees.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 07-27-2010 at 11:56 AM.

There are some businesses that don't take Amex or like it. I know
    some restaurants have 'no amex' signs and the jewelers don't
    like it much too....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast