Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jacki

Thread: Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    153

    Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar

    Yesterday, my hubby was at Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar and said that he found two things odd:
    1. he overheard the barman telling a tourist who was driving, "This is Aruba, you can drink and drive."
    2. the same barman, I believe but not certain, telling a customer that he was causing work for him by paying drink for drink rather than keeping an open tab. The barman went on to say that this was not very friendly.

    I believe that both of these comments are inappropriate.
    Stella

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,943
    I believe the same stella. Very inappropriate. He might have been having a bad day and was confused

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,691
    If I posted/wroted down every inappropriate comment I've heard over the many years during our travels throughout the U.S., Europe, MX, Aruba, etc., it would easily fill a book. LOL!!

    In any event, if you are disturbed by or find employee comments inappropriate, my best suggestion is to contact management with your concerns and the facts of the situation. That's the only way the matter can be looked into further, corrected and/or resolved.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  4. #4
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    When we were at the Amsterdam Manor over Christmas and New Year's, each day we had to ask if we could run a tab for the entire afternoon.

    After the 3rd or 4th day, we learned to ASK to run a tab as we ordered our first round.

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,943
    Why would you have needed to run a tab if on ai?
    (off topic ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    When we were at the Amsterdam Manor over Christmas and New Year's, each day we had to ask if we could run a tab for the entire afternoon.

    After the 3rd or 4th day, we learned to ASK to run a tab as we ordered our first round.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Why would you have needed to run a tab if on ai?(off topic ).
    We received a check for each meal, snack and beverage. We were given coupons to turn in for dinners at Passions (when we signed the check) and our "off property" dinner. Being an all inclusive optional resort I am thinking it has to do with inventory control.

    The Amsterdam Manor also uses "bracelets" to denote all inclusive guests which we have come to appreciate and save as souvenirs.

    We ended up being able to run a bar tab all day and then made sure we closed it out before shifts changed at the end of the afternoon. One of us would sign the check with our room number and signature and the bills for the rooms at check out were "0". (We tipped in cash over and above the 15% service charge as we went along at the bars and the servers on the last day.)

    At night at Horizons pool bar the bartender Vincent was usually busy (he also served the tables besides making their drinks- nice touch!) so by the time he was ready to give us the check we would either close it out or order another round.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 02-26-2014 at 11:35 PM.

  7. #7
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,943
    Ahh that makes sense.
    Vincent the bartender that you mentioned has to be the sweetest kindest man in the world. We love him!

    getting back to billstellar I do think Amy issued the best advice is to speak with the supervisor or the manager on duty. So often things are rectified immediately with no hard feelings or going away disappointed and angry or frustrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

    We received a check for each meal, snack and beverage. We were given coupons to turn in for dinners at Passions (when we signed the check) and our "off property" dinner. Being an all inclusive optional resort I am thinking it has to do with inventory control.

    The Amsterdam Manor also uses "bracelets" to denote all inclusive guests which we have come to appreciate and save as souvenirs.

    We ended up being able to run a bar tab all day and then made sure we closed it out before shifts changed at the end of the afternoon. One of us would sign the check with our room number and signature and the bills for the rooms at check out were "0". At night at Horizons pool bar the bartender Vincent was usually busy (he also served the tables besides making their drinks- nice touch!) so by the time he was ready to give us the check we would either close it out or order another round.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,860
    Possibly taken out of context? The bartenders I've spent time with are always wonderful and constantly smiling & joking. I wonder if it is possible your husband didn't overhear the entire conversations and misunderstood the intent.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

  9. #9
    Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by BillStellaR View Post
    Yesterday, my hubby was at Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar and said that he found two things odd:
    1. he overheard the barman telling a tourist who was driving, "This is Aruba, you can drink and drive."
    2. the same barman, I believe but not certain, telling a customer that he was causing work for him by paying drink for drink rather than keeping an open tab. The barman went on to say that this was not very friendly.

    I believe that both of these comments are inappropriate.
    Stella
    1. I was told the same thing a few years ago when the owner of a popular bar/restaurant on Palm Beach Rd. asked me if I wanted another drink. When I said that I didn't want another drink as I was driving he told me that "you can drink and drive in Aruba".

    2. The bartender was out of line telling the customer that it was more work for him to ring up each drink order. If he doesn't like his bartender job, he should find another line of work.

    I agree with Andrea that Vincent is the sweetest man. I first met him 29 years ago. And Diana is very sweet too. I love hanging out with her.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Beach Amsterdam Manor
    Posts
    15
    I just want to put my two cents in here regarding Vincent! My whole family just LOVES Vincent! He's our FAVORITE bartender!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO