Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Another question on currency and pricing

Another question on currency and pricing

Hi, going for the first time and my questions are money and pricing. Are the menu prices online for restaurants in US dollars or Aruba currency, guessing Aruba currency. When you get the bill at a restaurant do they give you the difference of the 2? If I see a meal for say $50 is that really about $27.50 or so? If the bill comes in Aruba currency is is $200 do you give them $200 US and get the correct change or do you calculate it out yourself?

Probably confusing the way I asked this but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Many restaurants list both US and Aruban currency or just US dollars. We've never had any issues paying with US dollars nor found it necessary to calculate prices.
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 12-06-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Most of the restaurants we've been to on the island state the prices in USD (I checked a few online and they were in USD). I have heard of restaurants that have dual menus (one in USD and one in AFL).

Some restaurants will state both on the menu AND on the bill.

If you use a credit card, it'll be charged in USD (unless you have an Aruba credit card which I'm assuming you don't).

If you buy anything (meals or otherwise) that is priced in Aruba Florins, they'll convert it to USD for you at the cash. I believe most use 1.75 or 1.77 as the exchange rate.

So a $200 AFL purchase would be calculated to (approx) $114 USD.

Most menus are in US Dollars. Many will show both US Dollar amount and equivalent Aruban Flirin amount. If you pay in US then often you will receive your change in Florins. Not always but it is common.
    A novel set in Aruba "Journey of Betrayals" available now on Amazon or at certain bookstores in Aruba
    "The sequel "Journey to Unknown Consequences" available this November, 2017
    John the (aquaman) www.homeaway.com/3507664 or www.homeaway.com/3903317

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Most places will show fl for florins or us for dollars or both. Do not assume that if the menu lists the price at 50 that it is florins. Ask if the menu does not specify. Simply ask "Are your prices in dollars or florins?" A 50 florin dinner would be just under $30. The exchange rate is somewhere between .55 and .58 most of the time. US dollars are taken almost everywhere but many places will not take $100 dollar bills. Credit cards are taken most places but many do not accept AMEX only VISA and MC.

Aruba since 1979
    the conversion that i use:

if something is priced 100 florins , divide that in half (50) and add 10% (10) so it would work out to about $60 or a little less.

grocery stores are priced in florins
    you will pay in us dollars $ and receive your change back in florins.
    bring those florins to the customer service desk and they will swap out for US dollars $

i have found that credit cards..Visa, Master, Discover and Amex are widely accepted.

Most restaurants state prices in USD and clearly mark that on the menu.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Good advice above. I find it easier on me to pay with a credit card where ever it's accepted. Our CC bank does not charge an currency conversion fee to convert an Afl charge to USD. Most of the time the charge at the restaurant is in USD so no conversion is needed.

Aruba since 1979
    ....speaking of restaurants
    check your bill carefully.
    sometimes a 15 or 20% service charge is already added in.
    if it is, then it is totally up to you as to add more or not.

Last summer we were lucky to find the exchange rate was equal that that of the price of fuel in florin, per liter. So if I filled with 50 liters it would be $50. Though a little pricey compared to home every cent was well spent ��

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast