Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Another question on currency and pricing

  1. #21
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mark View Post
    Yes, this is a quick, easy and fairly accurate way to make the conversion from Afl and US$. If you're handy with math, divide Afl in half, then add 15% and you'll be right on, for all intents and purposes. A quick way to do this: once you've calculated the 10%, add another 1/2 of that amount.

    A word of caution. For this formula to work, after dividing the Afl in half, you take 10% or 15% of the half not the whole.

    e.g. 100 Afl./2=50. 50*10%=5 50+5=$55.00 This is close. The exact amount is $57.14. using a 1.75 conversion rate.

    If you use the original amount for the 10% calculation you come close too. but the total is $60 instead of the $55. above.

    One way is a little less the other is a little more. But if you want the 15% formula to work, you have to use the half number as the base.

    e.g. 100 Afl./2=50. 50*10%=5 + 2.50 (half of $5.00)= $57.50 very close.

  2. #22
    Member NH Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    A word of caution. For this formula to work, after dividing the Afl in half, you take 10% or 15% of the half not the whole.

    e.g. 100 Afl./2=50. 50*10%=5 50+5=$55.00 This is close. The exact amount is $57.14. using a 1.75 conversion rate.

    If you use the original amount for the 10% calculation you come close too. but the total is $60 instead of the $55. above.

    One way is a little less the other is a little more. But if you want the 15% formula to work, you have to use the half number as the base.

    e.g. 100 Afl./2=50. 50*10%=5 + 2.50 (half of $5.00)= $57.50 very close.
    Yes, that is what I inadequately attempted to articulate! Thanks.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25
    So far everything has been in USD but some places have shown both. Groceries are quite expensive and restaurants are as expected.

  4. #24
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    31,721
    i too find that groceries are upwards of 20% or higher than here in W. central Florida.
    We are very used to doing our "staples" shopping at Aldis where eggs are 69 cents a dozen and milk is $3 a gallon.
    So there is some sticker shock in Aruba

    But, the convenience of having groceries that we come to want and expect is well worth the extra price.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
    So far everything has been in USD but some places have shown both. Groceries are quite expensive and restaurants are as expected.

  5. #25
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,275
    No question Aruba's grocery prices are higher. Consider two things. 1. It's a resort island! What did you expect? and 2. Everything is shipped or flown in from somewhere else. That ain't cheap.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    No question Aruba's grocery prices are higher. Consider two things. 1. It's a resort island! What did you expect? and 2. Everything is shipped or flown in from somewhere else. That ain't cheap.
    Not much different than we expected before we came as we knew everything was shipped in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO