Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlk51496

Thread: Anyone have success submitting hospital/meds payments to their US insurance company?

Anyone have success submitting hospital/meds payments to their US insurance company?

My 15 mo old daughter had a bad case of croup and was having trouble breathing (Stridor ) while we were in aruba last week. We are going to try to submit it to our insurance company (blue cross /blue shield) just curious how successful we will be. We are grateful they were able to give her the oral steroid she needed and total charges including meds from their pharmacy was *only * about $450 total. But if we could lessen that it would be nice!

also just wanted to say the hospital looks a little creepy at 3 Am ... But the staff couldn't have been more friendly, helpful and informative! Glad they were there for us!

i also want to thank the staff member at the Marriott surf club who drove us to the hospital, came back and picked us up 2-3 hrs later and drove us to a 24 hr pharmacy to pick up her meds! Definitely made the experience a lot easier to get through!

ETA: we did not have travel insurance (been to the island 10+ times and never been to the hospital before) - lesson learned I guess!
    Last edited by jlk51496; 04-13-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added more
    First time as a mother of 3 - looking forward to going back after a 2 year hiatus!

Aruba since 1979
    Yes bc/bs should reimburse providing your receipt for services is in English.
    Much difficulty/impossibility if in Dutch.
    Also too reimbursement might be based too on your deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    My 15 mo old daughter had a bad case of croup and was having trouble breathing (Stridor ) while we were in aruba last week. We are going to try to submit it to our insurance company (blue cross /blue shield) just curious how successful we will be. We are grateful they were able to give her the oral steroid she needed and total charges including meds from their pharmacy was *only * about $450 total. But if we could lessen that it would be nice!

also just wanted to say the hospital looks a little creepy at 3 Am ... But the staff couldn't have been more friendly, helpful and informative! Glad they were there for us!

i also want to thank the staff member at the Marriott surf club who drove us to the hospital, came back and picked us up 2-3 hrs later and drove us to a 24 hr pharmacy to pick up her meds! Definitely made the experience a lot easier to get through!

ETA: we did not have travel insurance (been to the island 10+ times and never been to the hospital before) - lesson learned I guess!

It's going to depend entirely on the insurance coverage you have.

I made a 4am visit back in 2007 to the Aruba hospital for food poisoning. My bill was about $147. I submitted all of the hospital paperwork (in Dutch) and my receipt to my health insurance company (which is offered/purchased through my employer). Took awhile because they had to have it translated but I was reimbursed in full about 3 months later.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Glad to hear your daughter was taken care of so well. Good luck with your reimbursement. IMO any hospital anywhere at that hour of the day is a little scary but then again hospitals in general at no one's favorite place to be it always helps with nice and friendly staff

Aruba since 1979
    you were fortunate indeed ~amy~ that your insurance accepted the dutch.
    i remember when you had that food poisoning. you were one sick lady!

over the past few years, i have received a few messages from folks with denials because the invoice/explanation of treatment was in dutch asking for advice or translation help.
    a person i know, sent me their invoice last may (written in dutch). they were denied reimbursement from bc/bs in massachusetts. i brought it to the hospital for them to the billing office, dropped it off and retrieved it 3 days later, translated to english. when home, i mailed it back to these fine folks. their claim was accepted and they were reimbursed over $2000+.

my claim that i had was denied by my health insurance co and trip insurance ($70 or so) because it was also in dutch. i think that was in august 2005 or 6 i had an ear infection that sent me to the er at 3 am. when we came back to aruba a few months later, i dropped it at the billing office in the hospital and again had it translated, and then i sent it off to my insurance co, which was also bc/bc of MA. they denied it but applied the amount to my deductible . then i submitted the translated invoice to my trip insurance which was access america from insuremytrip.com and it was accepted and paid..........event though 4 months had passed since my er visit.

so glad that those that have had to use the hospital for emergency services have been pleased with the result.
    i too have found the staff helpful and knowledgeable.

that marriott staff member went above and beyond!

glad that your baby daughter is well on the road to recovery!

originally Posted by jlk51496

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    It's going to depend entirely on the insurance coverage you have.

I made a 4am visit back in 2007 to the Aruba hospital for food poisoning. My bill was about $147. I submitted all of the hospital paperwork (in Dutch) and my receipt to my health insurance company (which is offered/purchased through my employer). Took awhile because they had to have it translated but I was reimbursed in full about 3 months later.

I am glad they helped your daughter and she is doing better. There is nothing like being sick OUT of the country. A few years ago my husband was in the hospital there as well. He could have died, but these doctors/nurses honestly saved his life. He was in the hospital for 3 days. The Occidental was great to me too! Like I said, it's tough being sick in another country, so I am forever grateful to this resort. I was alone and they went out of their way to help me. Anyway...I did have to have the paperwork in English. When I called the insurance company the first thing they told me was they HAD to have it in English. Now that I think about it, it was someone from the Occidental that told me that. My husband also had to have a follow up with his doctor here in the states. The doctor was very impressed with all the info and X-rays we brought him from Aruba and the fact it was in English. He said he knew some Dutch, but not enough. LOL
    Last edited by Love Aruba; 04-13-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Finished because I was kicked out