Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Also walking around town - I find just saying "bon dia" to people with a smile. lets them know you are not totally a tourist and they leave you alone. Holds true with the voucher ladies too.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    The Cellar! We went there, too, many, many, many years ago - maybe in 1997 or 1998.
    Amy, Yeah it was the Cellar.....Nice place, nice bartendars....like I said I guess I am just oblivious to things that do not concern me in general..
    Like I never in a million years would have guessed those people were smoking crack or marijuana or whatever it was right out in the open....you would think that since it is such a tourist area the police would keep that free from those kind of things...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post

By the way...the same rules apply in Rhode Island.
    rob o,

you are absolutely correct....and not to get into the N.H. thing again, but when some people made negative comments about Aruba I made a point of saying that I would not wonder the streets at night in ANY major city in this country let alone a foreign country no matter how safe it is supposed to be !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Four high school kids in our county are in the hospital since Friday from drinking liquid methadone. Drugs are prevalent everywhere.

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    Last week was the first and hopefully the only time I have been and will be approached to buy drugs in Aruba. As I posted in my trip report, DH and I were approached near Moomba/Holiday Inn on the beach just walking back from dinner around 8:45 pm-the guy asked if we wanted an "eight ball" we just kept walking.

We did notice a higher presence of security close to the hotels but NEVER on the beaches. Guess the dealer had a prime spot to hang out and solicit. Such a shame! We (the whole family)even tried to get to the beach via the Occidental elevator in the lobby and were told we couldn't because we weren't guests-so at least the hotels have higher security.

I have been fortunate to do a fair amount of traveling to other countries, Bahamas, Mexico,some parts of Europe, and never felt as safe as I do in Aruba. I will always feel that way, but it is a darn shame that now I do have to be aware even on the BEACH that there are dealers-downtown at night you almost expect it, but during a nice romantic walk on the beach, you don't.

I have been in the high rise area the last few nights and had no one offering me drugs yet.

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    >>> "NOT a new problem, always been there, just need to know where to look"

----- Ditto. Being a Senior Citizen I have never been approached but my son has been. He said person was very nice and walked away when he said no.
    >>> "would not wonder the streets at night in ANY major city in this country"
    ------- Ditto. Even out of the city at night I always walk my dog with caution in plenty of light. Have never worried in Aruba at night around the CDM, ABC, Manchebo, Bucuti, Alhambra, ...... area.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 01-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Hi guys, I don't know how this post got resurrected, but its back from August 2008...
    We have been 2x since then and no one has ever approached us or our daughters. Thankfully...

we were also approached in Nov. when we were there. that was the first time this happpened to us. It was also around the Holiday Inn..I didn't even notice he had talked to my husband. I guess I was in my own little world at the time...(didn't need drugs)...haha

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    luvsun, that's funny! I thought the guy had spoken in another language...my husbands hearing is MUCH better than mine and he understood the "dealer" just fine! Ugh!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast