Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My heart goes out to this family. We too are Canadian and love Aruba and have wished many times that they would be tougher on drunk driving laws like we are in Canada (for the most part).

Can you share with us where in Canada you are located and perhaps there may be some local help for this family?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

This is very sad and believe the criminal outcome will be similar to the states but the civil liability will not. Liability insurance and lawsuits are different and any civil compensation will be difficult. Please let us know if there are any fundraising or bank fund that will assist with this family.

Mark, I became aware this evening of a bank trust fund that has been set up for the Norman Family. I hope I am in no way violating any rules in posting this, but here is the info:

Those interested in helping out the Norman family can contribute to the fund at TD Canada Trust St. Thomas, 378 Talbot St. Account # 6371107-02

For those who are concerned about the authenticity of this, here are some newspaper links:

http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/...aspx?e=2565315

http://www.educationforthedrivingmas...th-of-tom.html

I hope the good natured and caring visitors to this bb can assist these folks

Aquaman

Thank you all for the kind words...I will certainly pass them on to Christine...
    She just wanted me to convey how important it is, and to show what drinking and driving can do...as she does not ever want this to happen to another family. Unfortunately, it will...and that is the problem.
    I have a wonderful article about the Normans that I just gave to another wonderful member of the message board here, however, I cannot place it on to the message board, as I do not have enough posts at this time. If you would like to know more about Tom and Christine, please message me, and I will be happy to forward it along...or it is also called "Education for the Driving Masses-London family shattered by Death" and it is about Christine and Tom if you want to google it...
    Thank you again all...please let the messages keep coming, it is important to get the word out there on what drinking and driving does!!

Kindest regards...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    My heart goes out to this family. We too are Canadian and love Aruba and have wished many times that they would be tougher on drunk driving laws like we are in Canada (for the most part).

Can you share with us where in Canada you are located and perhaps there may be some local help for this family?
    Hi there Randi,

The Normans live in St. Thomas Ontario...if there is any help you can offer, and you live in the vicinity, I know it would be appreciated! If not, no worries...the thought is most certainly more than good enough...
    Ironically, as Tom was killed in a drunk driver accident, there are no support mechanisms for Christine in Canada, as generally that is dealt with through the insurance systems...interesting eh? She has the 2 strikes against her...it happened in Aruba, and it was a drunk driver...no support mechanisms whatsoever! I have looked in to every avenue possible under the Canadian umbrella..and was even told by the government to look into Aruba's support services, as that is where it happened...nice eh?

Very tragic.Our condolences to all family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by melwall View Post
    Hi there Randi,

The Normans live in St. Thomas Ontario...if there is any help you can offer, and you live in the vicinity, I know it would be appreciated! If not, no worries...the thought is most certainly more than good enough...
    Ironically, as Tom was killed in a drunk driver accident, there are no support mechanisms for Christine in Canada, as generally that is dealt with through the insurance systems...interesting eh? She has the 2 strikes against her...it happened in Aruba, and it was a drunk driver...no support mechanisms whatsoever! I have looked in to every avenue possible under the Canadian umbrella..and was even told by the government to look into Aruba's support services, as that is where it happened...nice eh?

I would suggest (especially since the London newspaper ran the original article) that you really run with the local media to help this family. St. Thomas is a small city and generally smaller cities tend to rally around this kind of situations. We had a similar (but different) situation in our city and it was amazing what the community did for the family. Perhaps get the Kiwanis involved and then start getting local newspapers, radio and locat TV all involved with this story. This will help get badly needed funds to this family.

Good luck. Let us know how this family is making out, please!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    That is such a tragedy! My heart is with Christine and the kids, and all of their family and friends. It's horrible that someone's stupidity cost that family dearly in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I would suggest (especially since the London newspaper ran the original article) that you really run with the local media to help this family. St. Thomas is a small city and generally smaller cities tend to rally around this kind of situations. We had a similar (but different) situation in our city and it was amazing what the community did for the family. Perhaps get the Kiwanis involved and then start getting local newspapers, radio and locat TV all involved with this story. This will help get badly needed funds to this family.

Good luck. Let us know how this family is making out, please!
    Hello again Randi,

Thank you for the great idea about the Kiwanis club...I have contacted MADD, the Ontario Provincial Police, and both of those couldn't really do anything, as the incident did not happen in Canada. MADD will be happy to give Christine some counselling when she is out of the hospital, however, there is so much more that is needed...
    And you are right, the radio stations and local newspapers also did stories to raise awareness, however, the monies in the trust fund is not near enough for the necessities of everyday life once she is out of the hospital...and don't get me wrong...what has been donated is amazing! But for the boys futures for college, and other items. like just raising them...it is going to be a costly endeavor...
    So thank you for the Kiwanis idea...I have been racking my brain, trying to think up ways to find more funding for her...as the last thing she needs to worry about right now is how she is going to live once she is out of the hospital, and talking to her a few times...that is all she is thinking about...how and what she is going to do to keep her boys feeling secure in this insecure world, and to ensure they have a decent future...as she has no idea what her future will hold for her injuries...what she will be able to do...as she did work before this, but who knows??

Anyways...I am rambling...I just wish that she could be ok, at least in this area...as there is certainly no certainties with her health...I just wish one area of her life could have some certainty...

Thanks again Randi, take care!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast