Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

arrival in aruba

Hi, this my first post. we have been to aruba several times, we got engaged there in the late 80's, honeymooned in '90 and brought our 2 sons several times. we have not been back since 2003. we are returning for the first 2 weeks of sept. last place we stayed was the Americana resort, is it gone? so I guess a lot of things have changed. I see a lot of talk of lines at the airport leaving aruba, how about arriving? we come and go on Saturdays. also I remember getting lost most times we drove anywhere away from the beaches, have the road signs or the roads improved? road maps? OK that's a lot of questions, thanks so much to all you great folks for all the info I have gleaned already from this forum, I am counting the days to AUA. I think I'll start packing

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

you will be shocked and amazed at how things have changed in aruba!

i am not sure which resort now takes the place of the "americana"? now is the occidental (i think)
    someone will tell us if i am wrong i am sure

yes there are lines at aruba immigration when you arrive, but they move quickly.
    i think the most we ever waited as 15 min.

where will you be staying?

yes, get packing!!

Quote Originally Posted by curleyq View Post
    Hi, this my first post. we have been to aruba several times, we got engaged there in the late 80's, honeymooned in '90 and brought our 2 sons several times. we have not been back since 2003. we are returning for the first 2 weeks of sept. last place we stayed was the Americana resort, is it gone? so I guess a lot of things have changed. I see a lot of talk of lines at the airport leaving aruba, how about arriving? we come and go on Saturdays. also I remember getting lost most times we drove anywhere away from the beaches, have the road signs or the roads improved? road maps? OK that's a lot of questions, thanks so much to all you great folks for all the info I have gleaned already from this forum, I am counting the days to AUA. I think I'll start packing

Yes, Andrea is correct that the Americana is now the Occidental. We stayed at the Americana right before it changed hands.

You will be shocked at the changes in Aruba.

The signs over the years imo have improved. Not so much signs for individual streets, but for major island sights such as the Lighthouse, Arikok National Park, Lourdes Grotto etc.

Welcome to the forum!!

Remember the Aruba.com App too! You can find a link to it on the Aruba.com home page.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]We stayed at the Americana right before it changed hands.
    Sorry, I forgot, it had actually just become the Allegro and a VERY short time later the name was changed to Occidental. Same company just different name.

Also, if you are renting a car and have a Garmin GPS, see the thread at Garmin GPS It is a handy thing to have.

we are staying in a villa near the golf course. I can't seem to get this venrut to work with my garmin, oh well, sometimes its good to get lost we find surprises and things we did not expect. I will be all packed and ready to go 3-4 weeks before and DW will complain that my suitcase and dive gear are in the way, she will pack just before we go out the door and I will be the one to forget something or another. thanks again and i'm sure I will have more questions after I have read as many threads as I can handle

I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting to start packing a while too. We are going in September and the last time we were there was 2003 as well. I am looking forward to seeing the way things have changed.

Add my warm welcome to the "Forum." With so many willing to assist you in any way they can; you will have little or no problems navigating.

Ed