Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By charles
  • 1 Post By RickBordges

Thread: art lamore sad passing

art lamore sad passing

anyone remember capt art lamore, 1 of first with watersports on palm beach, in front of old americana, he always had a small monkey on his shoulder. dressed in white captain outfit...nice man. rip

I didn't know the man, but would have loved to meet him. RIP to him. Obviously a pioneer in his field.

his son art still operates in front of occidental. art's water sports.

I first met Art when in 1982 there was a strong storm and several larger vessels got into trouble due to not being well anchored. I saw this massive catamaran on the beach and went to see what it was about. Sitting on the beach, as if he were on vacation, was Art with his menagerie of animals - all perched on his body somewhere. I greeted him with a simple "Good Morning" and he looked at me as if I were criminally insane. He had a monkey on his shoulder and I made the next conversation mistake by asking him what kind of monkey it was. Art looked down at his series of gold rings - all of which had a tooth in them, then said. "This is an Aruban Shoulder Shitter." I went to where he was and sat next to him and we sat there looking at the broken catamaran while we engaged in a wordless conversation. As a parting comment, Art stood up and said, "Save me a spot on the beach, OK?" Like the idiot I was, I agreed to do and Art walked away.

Prior to his passing, I missed his dry and sharp humor. It seemed to be something that the old-timers did and not the young crowd. I missed the fact that someone would have a "Shoulder Shitter" sitting on their shoulder the entire day. If life were a movie, I would have picked him for the role he played interpreting Mr. Art Lamour. He did it well. If this island were an insane asylum, I would have chosen him to be the keeper. Art came up with little "Pearls Of wisdom" I feel relatively sure they were wispered into his ear by the monkey.

I have missed you on the sands
    I miss you now that you no longer are.
    I will speak of you to children and make sure they know your name - hopefully they will miss you as well.

Be well and "Safe Passage"

Charles Croes
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

.....Thanks Charles
    Last edited by RickBordges; 01-11-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum rb!
    i sent you a private message.

Last edited by RickBordges; 01-11-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    all opinions are respected here.
    i am siting the rules.

• Do not post any information, data, text, files, links, software, or other materials ("Content") that Aruba.com considers to be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, inflammatory, derogatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; (G-Rated Material is the rule on our site - Please do not simulate curse words using ####, $, or *** etc. as replacement for letters).

and

• Do not malign, ridicule and/or insult anyone or make threatening or racial remarks to users of Aruba.com regardless of their status in life, political belief, ethnicity, race, religion and/or gender.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Last edited by RickBordges; 01-11-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Can we get a thumbs down button?