Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jacki

Thread: Aruba Awarded Caribbean Journal's Innovative Destination of the Year!

Aruba Awarded Caribbean Journal's Innovative Destination of the Year!

Innovative Destination of the Year: Aruba
    Whether it’s devising a “Happiness Builder,” making a massive green energy push or leading world-class conferences, Aruba has become perhaps the most modern and forward-thinking destination in the Caribbean. That’s in large part due to the efforts of both Prime Minister Mike Eman, himself the Caribbean’s most digital-savvy politician, and the always-creative Aruba Tourism Authority. As the tourism world gets more competitive, the rest of the Caribbean will have a lot to learn from the Dutch Caribbean island.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

This is great and all but up until now the "green Aruba" project is mostly just a PR stunt by Mike Eman. Looks great as a show but its just not feasible that Aruba will get anywhere near the 100% sustainability goal by 2020. Its in 3 years!! It feels mostly like just international embarrassment coming our way when we don't reach the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    This is great and all but up until now the "green Aruba" project is mostly just a PR stunt by Mike Eman. Looks great as a show but its just not feasible that Aruba will get anywhere near the 100% sustainability goal by 2020. Its in 3 years!! It feels mostly like just international embarrassment coming our way when we don't reach the goal.
    I hope to see a little more positivity in the near future! I know that some resorts currently stress recycling and electronic billing & receipts. Gotta start somewhere
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I hope to see a little more positivity in the near future! I know that some resorts currently stress recycling and electronic billing & receipts. Gotta start somewhere
    It has nothing to do with positivity or negativity. Just plain facts. I worked a great deal in the renewables industry and know quite well how most of these projects are planned and implemented around the world. Since the start of this whole Aruba 2020 business, little advancements have been made and the wind park we do have dates back to the previous administration.

The additions have been mostly the solar park at the airport which provides enough energy for 2500 homes(this figure is seriously debatable and the real number is probably between 1500-2000 homes). They have also begun making needed steps to insure the islands electricity grid is able to store energy and also sustain the fluctuations.

Aruba started on the road to green energy before Mike Eman without the need for a show and a misrepresentation of facts(to put it nicely) that Aruba would become fossil fuel independent by 2020. That “gotta start somewhere” is exactly what Aruba has already been doing.

When something isn’t true you don’t say “be positive”. You should instead ask, “Oh really, why not?”.

Its actually because I am a positive person I chose this industry as my minor